Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Vincenzo D'Amore <v....@gmail.com> on 2014/06/29 14:08:40 UTC

Apache OFBiz Developer's Introductory Course Workbook

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I'm a software engineer, I'm very interested in this book "Apache OFBiz Developer's Introductory Course Workbook"

Before buy it I would like to know if anyone have already bought it in order to understand if this is the right book for me and my team.

Few months ago I was committed to extend a web editing service designed to enable businesses, organizations or individuals to create professional websites (www.sitonline.com ).

One of most important task I have is rebuild an e-commerce module to the current infrastructure. There are about 1000 stores already created, and I was thinking to migrate everything into ofbiz (i.e. stores, catalogs, products, products variants).

Since I don't want modify the current backend/fronted interface, I suppose to access at ofbiz via soap/rest. So we are starting to develop a new component able to provision/access a store, create/modify/delete an existing catalog or product.
Mainly we're interested into a book able to explain us how to integrate ofbiz with an existing web application via web services (soap or rest).
How to deploy ofbiz into an existing web container or application server.
Or how to create a simple development cycle where we don't need to restart ofbiz every time a custom component is modified and deployed into hot-deploy.

Actually we are working to a prototype of our ofbiz integration, since we're unable to call existing ofbiz webservices via soap, we are writing a component that works as REST wrapper for OfBiz service we need.
In few words, I would also like to buy a good book able to introduce easily ofbiz architecture and internals to my group.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Best regards,
Vincenzo D'Amore

Re: Apache OFBiz Developer's Introductory Course Workbook

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Vincenzo:
The document you refer to:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/ruth-hoffman/apache-ofbiz-developers-introductory-course-workbook/paperback/product-21641125.html

Is in no way affiliated with the Apache OFBiz project. It is the result
of many months of effort on my part to assemble a first-class OFBiz
training class. I'm doubtful that readers of this list have ever seen
this workbook as I just posted for sale last month.

For the course syllabus and more information about the book:
http://www.aesolves.com/control/documents?projectName=TrainingDEV

Please note that:
1) It makes reference to OFBiz 13.x which is not yet released.

2) This workbook is designed to be used with instructor lead training.

3) There is a fee associated with this document.

Best Regards,
Ruth Hoffman
rhoffman@aesolves.com
info@aesolves.net

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Once Ruth told me that Packt Publishing forced her to write the cookbook when she wanted to write the course book.
Now with Lulu you can decide what you write!

Jacques

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vincenzo,

>From what I went through a lot of the books and documentation on the
project are a bit outdated. Therefore a little bit of grinding and trial
and error while reading these resources would go a long way towards honing
your skills. So this is my heads up to you

Taher Alkhateeb

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Vincenzo,

Posted by Len Shein <ls...@solveda.com>.
Vincenzo,

Have a look at BigFish eCommerce www.bigfish.solveda.com. We have built a
layer in the hot-deploy directory that works as a wrapper into the Ofbiz
service layer.

Review the BigFish documentation; if you have any questions feel free to
reach out to us.  The source code is available via SVN and is compatible
with Ofbiz R 10, 11 and 12.

Regards
Len
Solveda