Posted to dev@wink.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/01 18:41:57 UTC

[DISCUSS] graduation

In previous graduation discussions, I've heard two concerns: diversity and project committment (is the project interested in implementing future specs, etc).

We have several possibilities:

graduate as a TLP
graduate as a sub-project
wait a little bit longer
retire

We have several projects that are consuming Wink. They might be interested in accepting Wink as a sub-project. This is not an ideal outcome, IMO. I'd prefer to see a TLP. However, I think it's better than seeing the project retire.

Comments?

--kevan

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Gentaro Oka <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I'm much interested in Wink's graduation as TLP.
I'm using Wink in my project, and I think it is very nice project.

I don't know the process to graduation exactly.
I guess there are some problems for graduation.

  Low activity:  -
  Low diversity: -

Maybe, I can contribute to solve these 2 problems.
if you have something that you should do before the graduation, please share it.
I'm ready to contribute to this project.

regards.

Gentaro Oka

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Sent from my iPad

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Agree with Ant

-- dims

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> Looks like we got good feedback, should we start a graduation vote ?
> >
> > This is probably the only negative comment that I've seen about Apache
> Wink graduating:
>
> Just for the record those weren't intended as negative comments. It
> was a discussion about the state of Wink and no one was really saying
> much real so i told it like i saw it and offered some suggestion on
> what i thought could be done to help.
>

> > On Jan 13, 2012, at 4:18 AM, ant elder wrote:
> >
> >> Active committers in the last six months shows just two:
> >>
> http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?from=20110713&path=%2Fincubator%2Fwink
> >> (and one of those has only done a single commit), and there's no other
> >> active on the dev list that i could see, is there other activity
> >> somewhere I'm missing? I don't want to see Wink retired either but
> >> that doesn't look like enough activity to sustain a TLP.
> >>
> >> Starting the JAX-RS 2.0 work seems like a good idea to try to attract
> >> new people, why not try that for a while?
> >
> > I don't recall ever seeing any real discussion of Ant's questions.
> Answers can be "no longer true", "true, but ...", etc. But I, for one,
> think they should be responded to. Did I miss the discussion?
> >
> > To be clear -- I really want to see Wink graduate. And I really want to
> see Wink as a TLP. However, I have to confess that Ant's questions do raise
> concerns that merit consideration.
> >

> and I don't think the comments did ever get much consideration or
> discussion, and they still continue - in the last three months there's
> now just been a single committer. User patches like
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WINK-363 sit there for months
> without getting applied. It looks to me like most times that user
> patches get applied is just when a graduation discussion comes up so i
> worry that if Wink graduates that motivation will be gone and patches
> could get totally ignored.  IMHO given the low activity anyone who
> contributes even a small patch should be offered committership as
> thats the type of thing that could help rejuvenate the project but
> there hasn't been a new committer made for yonks.

For the record, I didn't see the time WINK-363 was created but tried to
apply the patch right away when I saw the ping from Michael, and also
helped getting a release as he wants to fix some build issues in a
dependent project in Eclipse. And I agree with your comment about
committership as well.

> There isn't any real development going on, the road map and JAX-RS 2.0
> keeps getting mentioned as something that might attract people to help
> but no one has done any code at all to start that work. - and it
> should be relatively easy to make a start on 2.0 as the main change in
> 2.0 is the new client interfaces and Wink already has client support
> so its just some simple adapter code for that to work with the new
> interfaces, and doing that would be better at attracting people than
> just talking about it on the ML.

I guess the issue is that we are all really just independent contributors
here, with only some availability, and we don't really have any
organization with salaried employees devoting their time to the project.

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2012, at 12:15 PM, Luciano Resende wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Ciprian Mocanu <cm...@n-side.com> wrote:
> >
> >> +1 to graduate.
> >>
> >> I apologise for not tracking the discussions too close, but I'd like to
> >> know what are the most critical points in which help is needed.
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Ciprian
> >>

> > Looks like we got good feedback, should we start a graduation vote ?
>
> This is probably the only negative comment that I've seen about Apache
> Wink graduating:
>
> On Jan 13, 2012, at 4:18 AM, ant elder wrote:
>
> > Active committers in the last six months shows just two:
> >
> http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?from=20110713&path=%2Fincubator%2Fwink
> > (and one of those has only done a single commit), and there's no other
> > active on the dev list that i could see, is there other activity
> > somewhere I'm missing? I don't want to see Wink retired either but
> > that doesn't look like enough activity to sustain a TLP.
> >
> > Starting the JAX-RS 2.0 work seems like a good idea to try to attract
> > new people, why not try that for a while?
>
> I don't recall ever seeing any real discussion of Ant's questions. Answers
> can be "no longer true", "true, but ...", etc. But I, for one, think they
> should be responded to. Did I miss the discussion?
>
> To be clear -- I really want to see Wink graduate. And I really want to
> see Wink as a TLP. However, I have to confess that Ant's questions do raise
> concerns that merit consideration.
>
> --kevan

I think there has been few discussions (here and in general) around Wink.
In summary, I tried to add my point of view in a previous message on this
thread [1]. In parallel, I'm trying to start discussions around project
roadmap, etc to see if we can get people excited and contributing.

Having said that, I believe Ant's concerns are valid, but assuming we can
get people like you and Dims on the PMC which have been very helpful on
mentoring and helping the project releases, etc... we should be able to
have the same sustainability as a podling or as a TLP which seems to be
the consensus around IPMC. In the worst case, if we fail and get retired,
it does not metter if we are a podling or a TLP, we can get retired anytime.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/wink-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg04355.html

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] graduation