Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2003/05/01 05:46:08 UTC

[STATUS] (httpd-docs-2.0) Wed Apr 30 23:46:08 EDT 2003

Apache HTTP Server 2.1 Documentation Status File.
Last modified: $Date: 2003/05/01 00:39:16 $

For more information on how to contribute to the Apache Documentation
Project, please see http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/

              ------------------------------

Decisions pending
=================

  - Backport removal of SSI from docs directory in default config
    docs/conf/httpd-std.conf.in rev 1.36
    docs/conf/httpd-win.conf rev 1.82
    +1: slive, nd

  -Comment out .gz etc. AddEncoding lines in our default configuration.
    docs/conf/httpd-std.conf.in rev 1.32
    jerenkrantz said in the log message:
        Current browsers have a tendency to decompress the data when no one
        really wants it to do that.  If you want the old behavior that leads to
        transparent decompression by modern browsers, uncomment these lines.
        But, this shouldn't be our default.
    Someone else said: Certainly wasn't in 1.3.
    nd adds: we should provide example solutions somewhere in the docs.
      e.g.: .tar.gz should get the content-type application/x-gzip
      (hmm, bad x-, better suggestions?).
      <Files *.tar.gz>
        Forcetype ...
      </Files>

     - Backport to 2.0
       +1: wrowe, slive, nd

- Figure out what to do about the 2.0 FAQ
    - Copy important stuff from 1.3?
    - Some kind of XML?
    - Something that allows dynamic contributions from users a la
      FAQ-O-Matic?  (I don't think any really good software exists
      for this.)
    - Perhaps we can use the newly created Wiki for this. (SubWiki,
      with the possibility to get nice commit mails.)
       nd: someone should try to convince me, what the heck is
           so cool with wikis
       erik: it lowers the entry barrier and therefore users are able to
             contribute (handy for a FAQ, see PHP site)
       nd: yes, good bad example. The PHP docs would mostly be
           better without these comments. I don't want to censor
           the entries, but also don't want to leave them without
           control. IMHO it's better to incorporate changes into the
           static docs. We need some better way of feedback, anyway.

Things That Need Fixing
=======================

- XML
    - Rewriting of the remainder of the manual into xml is in
      progress.  See the bottom of this file for status info.
    - add ids to non-directive sections of the module docs, so they
      get a chance to be linked in the sidebar

- Windows platform docs are in desperate need of rewrites/updates for 2.0.
    - Bill Rowe and Bill Stoddard are good contacts for tech questions.
    - "using apache" has been done, "compiling apache" is still open
    - hints on uninstalling apache (exit monitor, close directories,
      registry entries etc) (PR 10154)
    - FAQ! UTF-8 config and URL encoding for non-ascii characters.

- New Auth system
    - Much clean-up and enhancement of aaa howto
    - Independent note on how to upgrade to new auth system

- modules docs
    - mod_suexec: very little documentation
    - mod_proxy: updates for 2.0
    - mod_status: updates for 2.0
    - mod_example: updates for 2.0
    - mod_rewrite: explain, when what variables are actually available
      (PR 16402)

- man pages
    - Convert from nroff to our xml format.  See list at bottom.
    - Then if someone gets creative, they can try to find an automatic
      way to convert back to nroff.
      - An example: http://cyberelk.net/tim/data/xmlto/db2man/
        This is designed for docbook, but it could be adapted.
        I'm not sure what the license is.

- MPM documentation
     - explain what the following command line options do
       (perhaps in the developer/debugging docs):
        -D DEBUG
        -D ONE_PROCESS
              one-process-mode == no threads, i.e. only one
              process handling the requests in a single loop?
        -D NO_DETACH (not in every MPM avail.)
              no daemon, but detached from terminal?
        -D FOREGROUND (not in every MPM avail.)
              ?

- Individual docs will need some cleanup.
     - misc/custom_errordocs.html needs to be updated to
       essentially describe how the international error
       docs included in 2.0 work
     - misc/perf-tuning.html - needs major rewrite for 2.0
     - misc/rewriteguide.html - needs cleaning in 1.3 and 2.0
     - platform/ebcdic.xml - needs major rework for 2.0

- New build process.
    - install.html has had a first-pass rewrite, it is basically
      accurate, but very incomplete: many configure options are missing,
      especially those inherited from apr.

- API documentation
    - Ben Laurie has written some hooks documentation
    - authn provider API documentation could be useful

- Several features in Apache require write-access to the filesystem.
    Examples: CacheRoot, DavLockDB, ScriptLog
    We should treat the things consistently in the docs, and perhaps
    suggest the use of directory like /usr/local/apache2/var/ that is
    httpd-writable.

- SSL docs are generally good, but they need a refreshing by someone
  familiar with mod_ssl and openssl.

Documentation improvements
==========================

* New user docs: Directory Handling (mod_dir/mod_autoindex/etc)

* Enhancements to the DTD/XSL:
  - <glossary> tag that links to the glossary and uses some special
    style in the css.
  - New index: directives by context, including listing which directives
    are available for each AllowOverride setting.
  - New index: backout modules by type (aaa, mappers, loggers etc.)
    probably by introducing a <category> element in modulesynopsis
  - Use a tag like <var> in place of <em> for things like the
    <syntax> listing.
    - in progress
  - add letter links to glossary and quickreference,
    perhaps also a term overview (sidebar)
  - cross references between the different languages,
    at least links from non-en docs to the originals.
    - Javascript?
    - post processing (s&r, XML::Parser, ...)?
    - pre processing ([kind of] type maps
      generated from sitemap entries like:
    - looking for other good ideas ;-)
    a similar effect.

* Autogeneration of PDF
  - Andr� is working on this, Erik volunteers to help out

* Improving the "security docs"
  - More content and better organisation.
    - mod_dav ressources are owned by the httpd

* General cleaning and improving of module docs

* Making the directive definitions "less terse" (i.e., adding more
  examples and details to the definitions of the directives)

* Making site-specific enhancements easier, including a documented
  and robust way for 3P module docco to be added -- and have it
  survive a server docco upgrade

  - This could be something a simple and hackish as a manual/extra/
    directory (a la the 1.3 src/modules/extra/ directory) and a
    script in the support directory that scans the files there and
    updates the manual indices.  (We do something like that now for
    httpd.conf file with apxs [LoadModule, etc.].)

* Summarize all the implemented drafts/standards with short explanations
  within a document. (PR 16938)

XML Conversions
===============

The following files need to be converted to XML as described at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/docsformat.html

# Perhaps these should be left in html to allow the developers to
# play with them
# nope. in order to create other formats, we need 'em as xml. --nd
developer/API.html

# converting from nroff to xml
programs/htpasswd.html
programs/other.html

Re: [Chinese Translation] The new XML files will not be directly shown in IE any longer?

Posted by kajaa <ka...@eastday.com>.
Great! Every thing is OK now! Thanks!

The translating project is continuing, althought it is very slow.

kajaa

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.

Posted by kajaa <ka...@eastday.com>.
With help from André Malo, build completed with no any error, and also a
.chm file was generated successfully, thanks!

But later, I found that not only our *.xml.zh-cn files but also *.xml files
cannot be directly shown in IE with the following error msg: (for I am using
a Chinese OS, I don't know what the msg will be in a English OS, the
following is a translated one)

Cannot display XML page
XML input was not found while using a XSL style-sheet. Press "refresh" or
try later.
----------------

Re: Chinese Translation: Wrong URL referencing

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* kajaa wrote:

> now, another problem occured,
> when building sitemap.xml, mod/index.xml, mod/directives.xml,
>
> -generate.html:
>      [xslt] Processing F:\ami\mod\index.xml.zh-cn to
> F:\ami\mod\index.html.zh-cn.gb2312
>      [xslt] Loading stylesheet F:\ami\style\manual.zh-cn.xsl
>      [xslt] : Fatal Error! java.io.UTFDataFormatException: Invalid byte 1 of
> 1-byte UTF-8 sequence. Cause: java.io.UTFDataFormatException: Invalid byte 1
> of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
>      [xslt] Failed to process F:\ami\mod\index.xml.zh-cn

That means, there's an encoding problem (obviously ;-). The new parser
version recognizes wrong byte sequences and throws an error, the former
didn't and converted malformed characters to just more garbage.
Hmm.

You'll need to find the wrong character. It may help to exclude the
autogenerated files from the build process. This can be done by modifying
the build.xml. In the helper.html.generic target, the filset within the
foreach loop is:

<fileset dir="../" includes="**/*${input_ext}">
   <patternset refid="excludes" />
</fileset>

Just change it:
<fileset dir="../" includes="**/*${input_ext}"
    excludes="mod/index.xml.zh-cn sitemap.xml.zh-cn">

etc. And let's see in which file it really occurs.

By the way, there's another change that you should notice. We've
re-introduced the allmodules.xml files in the mod directory. These contain
the list of modulefiles for the particular language. That way the module
lists are moved out of sitemap. Therefore all internal references to the
sitemap (like &sitemap; in mod/index.xml) have to be changed. Just have a
look at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-docs-2.0/manual/mod/index.xml?rev=1.4.2.3&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
for an example.

nd
--
package Hacker::Perl::Another::Just;print
qq~@{[reverse split/::/ =>__PACKAGE__]}~;

#  André Malo  #  http://www.perlig.de  #

Re: Chinese Translation: Wrong URL referencing

Posted by kajaa <ka...@eastday.com>.
ah, what a hard work it is, however, finished! :)

now, another problem occured,
when building sitemap.xml, mod/index.xml, mod/directives.xml,

-generate.html:
     [xslt] Processing F:\ami\mod\index.xml.zh-cn to
F:\ami\mod\index.html.zh-cn.gb2312
     [xslt] Loading stylesheet F:\ami\style\manual.zh-cn.xsl
     [xslt] : Fatal Error! java.io.UTFDataFormatException: Invalid byte 1 of
1-byte UTF-8 sequence. Cause: java.io.UTFDataFormatException: Invalid byte 1
of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
     [xslt] Failed to process F:\ami\mod\index.xml.zh-cn

Not knowing what's wrong with it.

kajaa

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.