Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Welsh <mi...@univers-sons.fr> on 2002/03/13 14:37:25 UTC

Multiple SSL ports

Greetings,

I have a server running Apache 1.3.22 and  Tomcat 3.3 on Solaris 8. Up
until now my Tomcat configuration included just one webapp and it used
the standard port 443 for SSL (through Apache). That all works really
well.

Now I am trying to integrate a second webapp, and therefore a second
context that will use a different SSL certificate. This is no problem
for all http requests since they all use port 80, but https ports are a
different story. Since 443 is already used for the first context, I am
forced to use a different port for the second, and to include it in my
URL (i.e. https://www.xxx.com:444/). That too works fine now that I got
it set up correctly in my Apache configuration file.

So here's the problem: The client will surf through the site and collect
his set of session objects (cart, etc.), but when it comes to to
activate the SSL, Tomcat seems to look at that URL as if it were a new
user, therefore assigning it a new session. The client looses his cart.

Any ideas of how I can make Tomcat not pay attention to the port for the
server information?

any help would be a blessing

Michael Welsh

Re: Tomcat 4.0.1 on omvs under os390

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Brown Bay wrote:

> I am in the process of porting our servlet based application running
> under Linux to omvs under Os390. After extensive searches on the web,
> I have not been able to find any kind of documentation/pages that
> suggest that this configuaration is possible. I believe that it can be
> done since I can run my Java programs quite nicely under omvs when
> they are converted to ebcdic. also, the configuration and xml files
> are text files, so they should not be much of a problem.

I have made so tries on a BS2000 but the EBCDIC there is a bit different. I have
used xerces as parser I was near to get the things running, but I added EBCDIC
support to mod_jk and use a TC running on an ASCII machine.

> IBM provides Websphere that does the ascii-ebcdic conversions on the
> fly and back under os390. My question is that has anyone been able to
> deploy Tomcat on os390. If they have, how did they resolve the
> problems of ascii-ebcdic conversions. I would appreciate any kind of
> information on the subject.

Patching the xml files. <?xml version="1.0"?> into <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="ebcdic-_of_the_machine"?>
An other problem was that the jsp compiler: The java intermadiate files where in
ASCII and the java compiler was not very happy.

Re: Multiple SSL ports

Posted by Anders Rundgren <an...@telia.com>.
Michaeal,
So your client is stepping up from http://host/ to https://host:444/ after first getting
a session in the http mode?   I tried this on my own setup and at least from
http://host/app to https://host:443/app I kept the session going.  Note that I
deleted the c**p in httpd.conf about broken IE and kept keep-alive.

This worked with both IE 5 and NS 6.2.

Regarding multiple SSL servers, the easiest is to give them unique IP addresses.
IIS (which I also use) requires this I believe.  But this may not be an option for you?

/anders

Posted by Michael Welsh <mi...@univers-sons.fr>.
Anders,

Re: Multiple SSL ports