Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Paul Spencer <pa...@apache.org> on 2001/11/19 20:26:19 UTC

Standard definition for Alpha, Beta, RC, and Release

Does the PMC have standard definitions Alpha, Beta, Release Candidate,
and Release? If so, then what are they?  Specifically I am looking for
the difference relative to:
   o Overall stability
   o Enhancement to Functionality
   o Commitment to maintain Functionality
   o Enhancement to API used by a user's application
   o Commitment to maintain API used by user's application
   o Upgradability

Paul Spencer

Re: Standard definition for Alpha, Beta, RC, and Release

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 11/19/01 11:26 AM, "Paul Spencer" <pa...@apache.org> wrote:

> Does the PMC have standard definitions Alpha, Beta, Release Candidate,
> and Release? If so, then what are they?  Specifically I am looking for
> the difference relative to:
>  o Overall stability
>  o Enhancement to Functionality
>  o Commitment to maintain Functionality
>  o Enhancement to API used by a user's application
>  o Commitment to maintain API used by user's application
>  o Upgradability
>
> Paul Spencer

No. It is up to the individual projects to decide that.

-jon