Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org> on 2019/07/28 22:53:35 UTC

Re: [discussion] CMS migration (was: svn migration plan)

On 28.07.19 23:10, Marcus wrote:
> Am 28.07.19 um 21:31 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> Cms will be shut down soon. The question is how we deal with this.
>> Info is in the chat protocol in my original post.
>
> OK, then we will have a big problem in order to serve our website pages.
>
> Marcus

There are no deadlines yet. Just whishes on time frame. There is current
a loose target at Infra in 3 month. Lets say november. If we manage to
switch at december we will still be fine.

Infra offers an incompatible replacement suite. Maybe there will be
migration scripts helping us with the migration.

I would like more to move to a easy to use cms system that might help us
to reduce tech diversity and maintenance. I am quite fond of neo (1)

Neo looks interesting since it promises a easy to use front end, multi
language setup of content and the ability to integrate other sites and
resources, while technical relative "easy" maintenance.

Both Ideas sound like promising ways. with pro and cons. I am open for
more ways.

(1)https://www.neos.io/

Re: [discussion] CMS migration

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 29.07.19 um 00:53 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> On 28.07.19 23:10, Marcus wrote:
>> Am 28.07.19 um 21:31 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>> Cms will be shut down soon. The question is how we deal with this.
>>> Info is in the chat protocol in my original post.
>>
>> OK, then we will have a big problem in order to serve our website pages.
>>
>> Marcus
>>
> There are no deadlines yet. Just whishes on time frame. There is current
> a loose target at Infra in 3 month. Lets say november. If we manage to
> switch at december we will still be fine.
>
> Infra offers an incompatible replacement suite. Maybe there will be
> migration scripts helping us with the migration.
>
> I would like more to move to a easy to use cms system that might help us
> to reduce tech diversity and maintenance. I am quite fond of neo (1)
>
> Neo looks interesting since it promises a easy to use front end, multi
> language setup of content and the ability to integrate other sites and
> resources, while technical relative "easy" maintenance.
>
> Both Ideas sound like promising ways. with pro and cons. I am open for
> more ways.

I hate to be the bad guy. However, there is another point that we need
to take into account which is very important:

As we haven't much people that can do such a big migration step, we
really need to go the easy way.

So, when the Infra team has finished their substitution and it has no
big obstacles (from our point of view), then we should take this.

Marcus

Re: [discussion] CMS migration (was: svn migration plan)

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
Welcome back George,

yes I have not forgotten your work. I do hope you continue. I am really
happy on your post.

I liked your proposal for the new design. I would really like to see
that they move into our "production".

The only thing is that in my opinion the static side generator does not
fit to the 2 wikis, to bugzilla and to our maybe hopefully soon
returning OpenGrok instance.

What I would opt for that we are able to move all written content into
one single cms that also works like a wiki. However it is more important
that we move away from the old cms.

So if you guys think we should go for a page gen then lets go on this
journey.

I am in full support for a redesign. I usually get lost in our
materials. I would so much like to see a improvement on our material. I
also tried to motivate new people but I did not manage to accompany them
enough. So I am really sad it did not work.

All the best

Peter

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Matthias...

I didn't know if the control over publishing with --
https://cms.apache.org/
still worked or not.

I will investigate on my own soon.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 11:38 AM Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>
wrote:

> Hi Kay,
>
> Am 31.07.19 um 23:49 schrieb Kay Schenk:
> > Hi all.
> > A few questions --
> > * what's the status of the current OO website repositories -- both
> > https://openoffice.apache.org/ and https://www.openoffice.org/
> > in terms of updates? Are they both, as of today, still svn checkout?
>
> It is still functional for both sites...
>
> However the staging does not work on https://openoffice.apache.org/ due
> to the permanent https redirection.
> But I can live with that... ;-)
>

> > * and since the CMS is broken (?), do updates to through svn go live
> > instantly or ????
> I did a commit yesterday, all went fine (but did not publish yet).
> >
> > * where are the instructions for the new "tool"?
>
> We are still discussing about a new system at the moment.
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>

> > Thanks.

> >> (self
> >> No, they prefer Pelican: https://github.com/getpelican/pelican it will
> >> support Github’s markdown and allow the preview of content within
> GitHub.
> >>
> >> "the pelican setup sees the commit to master, builds the site, pushes to
> >> the asf-site branch, which the gitpubsub sees, and pulls that change to
> the
> >> active website"
> >>
> >> There will be two major challenges.
> >>
> >> (1) Creating our theme so that we continue to handle the NL translated
> >> elements in the header. An example page theme template is quite similar
> >> what the CMS uses:
> >>
> https://github.com/getpelican/pelican/blob/master/pelican/themes/notmyidea/templates/page.html
> >> (2) How to adapt the legacy html into the new template.
> >>
> >> I plan to help, but only after ApacheCon NA. If someone else starts the
> >> process then I would gladly review and discuss.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Dave

"And in the end, only kindness matters."
   -- Jewel, "Hands"
MzK

Re: [discussion] CMS migration

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Kay,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi all.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
On 31.07.19 01:29, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> they replace it with another self baked solution... :/
> No, they prefer Pelican: https://github.com/getpelican/pelican it will support Github’s markdown and allow the preview of content within GitHub.

Hmm sorry,  I thought for some reason that they are still in development
of the tool, But then we can start! So no waiting. :)

Dave, Raphael do you have may be time to Mentor George? - Would be cool
if we can make him a new committer.

 @ Raphael: Would be very nice to see you more active again.

All the best

Peter

Re: [discussion] CMS migration

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

(1) Creating our theme so that we continue to handle the NL translated elements in the header. An example page theme template is quite similar to what the CMS uses: https://github.com/getpelican/pelican/blob/master/pelican/themes/notmyidea/templates/page.html

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello Mathias,

I know what you mean. I thought I was doing the right thing, but maybe I shouldn't have interfered.

> Then it would be the perfect time to help those few people
> that already
> spend so much time on this project? J

I'm sorry, but I don't have time. I understand the importance of the work, but I will not make a promise here that will raise hope, but which I will not be able to keep later.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: [discussion] CMS migration

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Jörg,

Am 30.07.19 um 23:32 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> Hello,
>
> A fundamental question first:
> The "CMS migration" won't touch the wiki content? Right?

No, Wiki is a different server.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Jul 30, 2019, at 3:56 PM, Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:
>
> Hello Peter,

You can build the OpenOffice.org site on your computer by following the instructions here: https://openoffice.apache.org/website-local.html#setup

These instructions were written initially in December 2011 when I did the initial build locally. Note this is using python 2.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello Peter,

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
On 30.07.19 23:32, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A fundamental question first:
> The "CMS migration" won't touch the wiki content? Right?
>
> (i mean: wiki.openoffice.org)
Not in the focus in this discussion. Personally I would like to. But
this is a huge amount of work too. And not something we should target now.
>> I had a quick look at the content. I think we do not need to migrate
>> everything. We should think about reducing the content.
>>
>> So we could try to identify the most important Pages, that are still
>> useful and then make a switch, taking offline everything
>> else, but keep
>> the SVN as archive. If there is interest in the material that
>> we did not
>> migrate we could add a migration request page.
> Sorry, but:
> What you are proposing here is an extremely large amount of work, _work that needs to be done carefully_.
I think we are all clear on this. Thats why I try to chop it into
smaller parts so we can work sometimes on it. And have some sort of
natural selection.

> If we make mistakes, the loss of information will be a disaster. Not necessarily for the project, but for millions of users.
> For example, there are (probably) tens of thousands of websites that link to pages from openoffice.org. Our goal must be to maintain or redirect these link targets.
If we want to stay alive we need to be able to break eggs. So if we have
room to do this it is fine, if not it is bad. Imho the freezed version
for openoffice.org might counter your concern.

> I don't understand:
> Why is migration necessary at all?
> I don't like the fact that programmers here spend time with this discussion (and possibly later with the migration), because the (unfortunately) few programmers we have should concentrate fully on the further development of the program.
The Software that drives our CMs is at end of live. We need replace it
with something that is still alive.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
On 29.07.19 21:11, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Please proceed with small examples and test with other languages. The whole of OpenOffice.org is large - aka 9GB. There are decisions to make as we go along.
>
> Someone needs to make a roadmap for OpenOffice.org. Someone needs to understand how the current CMS version ACTUALLY works. I’ll answer questions, but I’m not looking at it until after Apachecon.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

I had a quick look at the content. I think we do not need to migrate
everything. We should think about reducing the content.

So we could try to identify the most important Pages, that are still
useful and then make a switch, taking offline everything else, but keep
the SVN as archive. If there is interest in the material that we did not
migrate we could add a migration request page.

then we could focus on the most important stuff. replace those with
something new. Make the switch, and then continue migrating while the
infra switches off the old CMS infra structure.

@Gav would that be something we can technically do?

@all do you think such an approach would save work? not that we end up
in still migrate a lot of the content?

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by George Karalis <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Just so you know, whatever you decide am willing to help with the migration

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
BTW -

A good portion of the site is html as donated in 2011. It is extracted using additional functions in the CMS and then wrapped in the templates.

There is about 9GB content and as the template was developed we hammered the CMS system.

We will need to revisit how we handle NL for the headers. I did the bulk of the work in Dec 2011. No real plans to help until after Apachecon.

Please keep the OpenOffice website in SVN until a Git based framework using new tools is built. Once it is we can do a bulk move which could include html conversions.

Personally, I kind of like the JBake approach used in the Incubator ...

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.