Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by jude <fl...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/10 23:44:24 UTC

Re: Public campaign to improve FlashDevelop specificall for Apache Flex

UPDATE: Just noticed I replied only to dev and not all so replying for
those not subscribed to dev mailing list. Original email below:

Justin,

I agree. It would be great to have this. I think the lack of a free Flex
IDE for Mac and Linux is a barrier for new Flex developers. If one were
available, anyone could get started and going with Flex and later on they
will have the option to upgrade to other IDE's if they so choose.

One thing we may want to consider is adding a simple mxmlc compiler into
the Apache Installer which is one step better than the command line. You
pick the application in a open file dialog and it compiles or doesn't
(super simple).

Or it may be better as a separate program. Just something to create a
sample project and directory and then compile and run the application in
it. I would say install it with the installer. At the same time we provide
links to the Flex IDE's including FD.

Anyway, I would say focus on feature parity with FB first since that is
what the developer works in the most (the code editor).

1. So focus on nearly all the options in 1. package Code Completion
2. Next work on features in 5. package UI improvements
3. The next isn't on the list but a screen that has templates and demo
projects for new users to get started. You described this in your initial
email.
4. Add support to Import FB projects
5. Make the Mac and Linux versions as seamless as possible to those
platforms. Make it feel like a real Mac or Linux program if that makes
sense.