Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com> on 2006/03/09 01:27:14 UTC

map tasks < reduce task

Hi developers,

It looks like  hadoop hangs for ever when there are less map tasks
than reduce tasks.
I had generate a nutch segment using a setup that configured 12 map
and 6 reducers but fetched this segment with a setup running with 18
map tasks and 9 reduces. (on 9 boxes),
Now hadoop hangs with reduce > copy > task_m_22fc8c@box09:50040.

Is that a known problem? Should I open a bug or there may something
other that froze my hadoop?

Thanks for any hints
Stefan

blog: http://www.find23.org
company: http://www.media-style.com

Re: map tasks < reduce task

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@media-style.com>.
May be  interesting for you is that there is a heavy io on my
"box09",  329megabit/sec out  and 36megabit/sec in.
A kind of ping pong effect? ...

Re: map tasks < reduce task

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Stefan Groschupf wrote:
> It looks like  hadoop hangs for ever when there are less map tasks  than
> reduce tasks.
> I had generate a nutch segment using a setup that configured 12 map  and
> 6 reducers but fetched this segment with a setup running with 18  map
> tasks and 9 reduces. (on 9 boxes),

That should work fine.

> Now hadoop hangs with reduce > copy > task_m_22fc8c@box09:50040.

That sounds like the same problem Michael Stack reported earlier today.

> Is that a known problem? Should I open a bug or there may something
> other that froze my hadoop?

Sounds like a bug.

Doug