Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/02 21:37:36 UTC

Class/Method Header in source code

What's the current policy in respect with coding standards in Derby?

I would like to suggest that there is an extra efforts in commenting source
code and in particular class headers which are not there in lots of classes.

Due to the nature of Open Source, it is not like there are a lot of design
documents lying around - providing a description of what a class does (does
not have to be a novel) would be benefitial im my opinion (especially for
large ones). Class headers make it to javadoc if properly formatted.

On the same subject, providing decent comments to methods and variables
would be greatly benefitial as well. I'm hoping reviewers can check on these
nd suggest additional comments if needed.

You can see some formatting examples under the following packages (amongst
other places):
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.authentication

Not sure if this has to go through a vote or not. Maybe it has already been
done already. Would love to see something around this being specified
somewhere in the Derby community contributing area.

Thanks,

--francois

Re: Class/Method Header in source code

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Francois Orsini wrote:
> What's the current policy in respect with coding standards in Derby?
>
> I would like to suggest that there is an extra efforts in commenting source
> code and in particular class headers which are not there in lots of classes.
>
> Due to the nature of Open Source, it is not like there are a lot of design
> documents lying around - providing a description of what a class does (does
> not have to be a novel) would be benefitial im my opinion (especially for
> large ones). Class headers make it to javadoc if properly formatted.

Also due to the nature of open source, people are volunteers. Patches
adding to or otherwise improving documentation would be greatly appreciated.

--
Jeremy