Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/02/09 12:38:28 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.12

Version 1.2.12 includes the following changes compared to 1.2.10:

- Update minimum recommended OpenSSL version to 1.0.2k
- Windows binaries built with OpenSSL 1.0.2k
- Better documentation for building on Windows
   (including with FIPS enabled OpenSSL)

The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
and the build was done using tag [2].

The Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.12 is
  [ ] Stable, go ahead and release
  [ ] Broken because of ...

Thanks,

Mark

[1]
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/1.2.12/
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/native/tags/TOMCAT_NATIVE_1_2_12

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.12

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/02/17 12:38, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Version 1.2.12 includes the following changes compared to 1.2.10:
>
> - Update minimum recommended OpenSSL version to 1.0.2k
> - Windows binaries built with OpenSSL 1.0.2k
> - Better documentation for building on Windows
>   (including with FIPS enabled OpenSSL)
>
> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
> and the build was done using tag [2].
>
> The Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.12 is
>  [X] Stable, go ahead and release
>  [ ] Broken because of ...

Tomcat 9 unit tests pass for APR/native on:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 with Java 1.8.0_112-b15
- OSX 10.12.3 with Java 1.8.0_77-b03

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.12

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Version 1.2.12 includes the following changes compared to 1.2.10:
>
> - Update minimum recommended OpenSSL version to 1.0.2k
> - Windows binaries built with OpenSSL 1.0.2k
> - Better documentation for building on Windows
>   (including with FIPS enabled OpenSSL)
>
> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
> and the build was done using tag [2].
>
> The Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.12 is
>  [x] Stable, go ahead and release
>  [ ] Broken because of ...

Though my vote is non-binding...it looks good to me :)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.12

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <vi...@apache.org>.

> Version 1.2.12 includes the following changes compared to 1.2.10:
>
> - Update minimum recommended OpenSSL version to 1.0.2k
> - Windows binaries built with OpenSSL 1.0.2k
> - Better documentation for building on Windows
>   (including with FIPS enabled OpenSSL)
>
> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
> and the build was done using tag [2].
>
> The Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.12 is
>  [X] Stable, go ahead and release
>  [ ] Broken because of ...

Tested with Tomcat 6

Regards,
Violeta

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Reminder:

We only have 2 PMC votes for this so far...

Mark

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.12

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The following votes were cast:

Binding:
+1: markt, violetagg, rjung

The vote therefore passes.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release (and 1.2.11)

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.12

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 09.02.2017 um 13:38 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> Version 1.2.12 includes the following changes compared to 1.2.10:
>
> - Update minimum recommended OpenSSL version to 1.0.2k
> - Windows binaries built with OpenSSL 1.0.2k
> - Better documentation for building on Windows
>   (including with FIPS enabled OpenSSL)
>
> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
> and the build was done using tag [2].
>
> The Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.12 is
>  [X] Stable, go ahead and release
>  [ ] Broken because of ...

+1 to release, thanks for RMing.

Detailed results especially about one sporadic unit test failure see
below. One additional observation: some strange permission in Windows
source zip: if I extract it on Unix, all directories and files are group
writable. If I rebuild using the jnirelease script and extract again the
permissions look OK.

I also added two patches to build.xml for running the tcnative junit
script after 1.2.12 but those are no show stoppers IMHO.

We might still want to remove some resolved items from TODO.txt and
probably can resolve some more for the next releases.

- Tested with APR 1.5.2 and OpenSSL 1.0.2k
- Platforms Solaris 10 Sparc, RHEL 7 64 Bits
- configure flag "--enable-maintainer-mode"
- Using Java versions 1.8.0_121 (Solaris) resp. 1.8.0_72 (RHEL 7)
   for tcnative build, tests/examples and TC trunk unit tests
   - Using "-XX:-UseCompressedClassPointers" in combination with
     Java 8 on 64 Bit Linux
- SHA1 and MD5 OK
- signatures OK
- gz and zip for sources consistent
- source dist consistent with svn tag
- some strange permission in Windows source zip: if I extract it on
   Unix, all directories and files are group writable. If I rebuild
   using the jnirelease script and extract again the permissions look OK.
- config.guess and config.sub from apr 1.5.2 (copied by buildconf)
   3 years old, not so nice but still OK. Can't change that as long as
   we take the files from APR.
- VERSIONS says OpenSSL 1.0.2k and APR 1.5.2
- recreated release with jnirelease script, results are
   consistent with source dist, except for minor expected diffs in
   CHANGELOG.txt and generated docs
- make succeeds and builds lib
   - no C warnings
- tcnative junit tests
   Running the tests was broken for me due to:
   - download of junit broken (r1783313)
   - download of hamcrest missing (r1783313)
   - junit tried to execute AbstractJniTest (r1783316)
   Since this doesn't influence normal tcnative operation and after
   fixing these things the tests ran mostly fine, IMHO those are
   not show stoppers.

- unit test results for TC trunk (apr, nio and nio2)

   - The only failing test was on nio for Solaris:
TestSocketServerAnyLocalAddress

Testcase: testWithClient took 0.117 sec
         FAILED
Unexpected data
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Unexpected data
         at
org.apache.tomcat.jni.TestSocketServerAnyLocalAddress.testWithClient(TestSocketServerAnyLocalAddress.java:99)

     It seems to be a sporadic test failure.

Regards,

Rainer