Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/15 22:08:44 UTC

Using ApacheDS as a back-end for ConfigurationAdmin

I'd like to investigate the use of ApacheDS as a backing store for the
ConfigurationAdmin service.
I've googled a bit and found some emails about that, but not any
pointer to some existing code.
Has anyone already worked on that ?

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Using ApacheDS as a back-end for ConfigurationAdmin

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
On Oct 15, 2008, at 22:08 , Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> I'd like to investigate the use of ApacheDS as a backing store for the
> ConfigurationAdmin service.
> I've googled a bit and found some emails about that, but not any
> pointer to some existing code.
> Has anyone already worked on that ?

There was some very old stuff in someone's sandbox, but I doubt it
(still) works.

Greetings, Marcel

Re: Using ApacheDS as a back-end for ConfigurationAdmin

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Guillaume Nodet schrieb:
> I'd like to investigate the use of ApacheDS as a backing store for the
> ConfigurationAdmin service.
> I've googled a bit and found some emails about that, but not any
> pointer to some existing code.
> Has anyone already worked on that ?

I don't know.

But the Felix ConfigurationAdmin implementation has a PersistanceManager
interface, which you might want to implement to use ApacheDS as a
backing store. But be aware, that the Configuration Admin implementation
does not adapt to changes to persisted data from outside.

Regards
Felix

Re: Using ApacheDS as a back-end for ConfigurationAdmin

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guillaume,

Guillaume Nodet schrieb:
> For the ConfigurationAdmin service, there are two choices:
> re-implement it from scratch, or leverage the felix one and just plug
> in a different backend store.  I would rather go the second way, as
> the interface to implement is quite simple:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/configadmin/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/cm/PersistenceManager.java
> However, it seems that this interface is not able to notify the config
> admin service of any changes, so it may be easier to restart from
> scratch.

I could imagine extending this interface making it possible to inject
from below (though I have to admit, that I am not a big fan of this,
because it creates secondary management of the same stuff).

Regards
Felix

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2008/10/16 Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>

> Hey Chris!
>
> Thanks for the pointer.  I had seen some code about the OSGi packaging
> but I missed that piece of code.
> I've downloaded the latest distribution and for the packaging, it may
> be easier to just use a single bundle with all the apacheds-* and
> shared-* jars.
> We have already most (if not all) the other dependencies packaged as
> OSGi bundles available for ServiceMix.
> I guess I'll try that first and see how it goes.  I can easily provide
> a patch to do that.
> I don't know the apacheds internals and I'm not sure if some of the
> jars are optional or not, so if it makes sense to deploy only a subset
> of these jars.
> If yes, it may be better to directly package those jars as bundles,
> provided that there is no clashes in the packages (no classes from two
> different jars belong to the same package).
>
> For the ConfigurationAdmin service, there are two choices:
> re-implement it from scratch, or leverage the felix one and just plug
> in a different backend store.  I would rather go the second way, as
> the interface to implement is quite simple:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/configadmin/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/cm/PersistenceManager.java
> However, it seems that this interface is not able to notify the config
> admin service of any changes, so it may be easier to restart from
> scratch.

if you do decide to (re)start from scratch then you might want to look at
Alin's work on a configurable, extensible configuration admin service:

   http://wiki.ops4j.org/confluence/display/ops4j/Pax+Coin

afaik it's not yet complete, but you may find it helpful / a starting point

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: Using ApacheDS as a back-end for ConfigurationAdmin

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Hey Chris!

--
Cheers,