Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2013/11/28 08:42:21 UTC

Donation News

I finally got a clean-looking scan on a bunch of Adobe stuff.  I will be
submitting it to Legal for review next week (reminder that the US is on
holiday Thursday and Friday).  Then, unless Legal sees something it
doesn't like, I have to get some business folks and a VP to sign off and
then I replace any remaining Adobe headers with Apache headers and start
checking it in.  Still hoping to get it done in December.

Contents of this donation will hopefully be:

1. Several popular ADC web articles, tutorials, etc.
2. A newer version of FDB that supports workers
3. FlexPMD
4. The Mobile Trader demo app
5. A spec for MXML
6. Some files that are needed to complete the BlazeDS donation
7. As much of Squiggly as I could find
8. TourDeFlex

The BlazeDS donation is otherwise ready except for the files I mentioned
in #6.  With those files, the BlazeDS build scripts seems to run
successfully.  Testing is still needed of course, but will happen
post-donation if we can find a volunteer.

Some things to think about:
A) The ADC content is full of references to stylesheets that give it its
look and feel. I haven't put the stylesheets in the donation because I'm
pretty sure the Adobe business folks will want us to come up with a
different look.
B) For various copyright reasons, many of the images in the ADC examples
could not be donated and have been replaced by copies of other ADC images.
 At some point, we may need to spend time on fixing this up
C) Where do we check in the ADC content?  Does it just go in SVN for the
web-site?
D) A few files in the FlexPMD trunk belong to third-parties and therefore
not in the donation.  It looks like it was just a few tests and bug test
cases.  However, I'm not planning to fix up the build script.
E) Where do we check in FlexPMD?  I think flex-utilities
F) TourDeFlex and the FlexStore example on the ADC use images of Nokia
phones.  These images will not be donated.  Anybody in the mood to
generate 22 different phone images? It is probably better if they are
hand-drawn and not photos of a real phone.

-Alex

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/28/13 6:43 PM, "Paul Hastings" <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 11/28/2013 2:42 PM, Alex Harui wrote:
>
>> 1. Several popular ADC web articles, tutorials, etc.
>
>does that include content from http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex.html ?
>
>there's lots of good stuff there, hate to see it disappear.
I don't know how soon it will disappear from the Adobe site, if ever, but
we are only donating articles written by Adobe employees and have a high
number of visits over the past year or so.

The list is:

Flex In A Week
Flex Test Drive
Flex Test Drive For Mobile

And these articles:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/mobile-development-flex-flashbuil
der.html

  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flex3and4_differences.html

  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/itemrenderers_pt1.html

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/employee-directory-android-flex.h
tml

  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/interactive_maps.html

  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/mobile-skinning-part1.html

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flex-mobile-performance-checklist
.html

  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flashbuilder_blazeds.html

  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/spark_layouts.html

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flex-mobile-development-tips-tric
ks-pt4.html

  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/databinding_pitfalls.html

  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flex4_skinning.html

  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flex4_viewport_scrolling.html

  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flex_ant_pt1.html

  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/flex4_effects_pt1.html

Note that any of these articles might get pulled if Legal finds something
wrong with them.

-Alex

Re: Donation News

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Donation News

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
I mean a programmatic schema, i.e. an XSD file.  It is also possible that
Adobe used the Relax NG [1] format for defining the schema.  Tools like
Flash Pro, Fireworks, Illustrator, etc. must have something like this to
make the 'Export to FXG' option work.

Thanks,
Om

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RELAX_NG

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
The FXG spec is here [1]

Re: Donation News

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

RE: Donation News

Posted by Gordon Smith <go...@adobe.com>.
The spec I wrote is for MXML 2006 and MXML 2009 (with various sections remaining incomplete) and it also contains proposals for a new dialect to fix various inconsistencies. It doesn't cover MXMLG/FXG, but I think Adobe had a spec for that and maybe Alex could arrange for it to be donated as well.

- Gordon

>What a great news, right in time for Thanksgiving!  Thanks for getting
>this through.
It isn't "through" yet.  It just means that I've pulled out all the un-donatable stuff I could find and now it is time for Adobe Legal and others to review it.

>What format is the MXML spec in?
MS Word.
>Does it include MXMLG/FXG?
Not sure.  Gordon wrote it.

-Alex

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/27/13 11:55 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Alex,
>
>What a great news, right in time for Thanksgiving!  Thanks for getting
>this
>through.
It isn't "through" yet.  It just means that I've pulled out all the
un-donatable stuff I could find and now it is time for Adobe Legal and
others to review it.

>What format is the MXML spec in?
MS Word.
>Does it include MXMLG/FXG?
Not sure.  Gordon wrote it.

-Alex

Re: Donation News

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

What a great news, right in time for Thanksgiving!  Thanks for getting this
through.

What format is the MXML spec in?
Does it include MXMLG/FXG?

I agree, FlexPMD can go into flex-utilities.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Ah, I get it.  Makes sense.

RE: Donation News

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I'm only donating what you gave me.

Re: Donation News

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Alex,

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Donation News

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.

RE: Donation News

Re: Donation News

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Donation News

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/29/13 1:14 PM, "Tom Chiverton" <to...@apache.org> wrote:

>On Friday 29 November 2013 16:02:05 Mark Kessler wrote:
>> example.  Either way still need pics lol.
>
>Plenty of clip art sites let you search for appropriately licensed
>pictures.
>When ever the code is donated we can plug in anything...
I still don't believe that is true.  I will ask for confirmation from
Apache Legal.

There have been past discussion that, regardless of license, Apache
projects do not take code without explicit permission.

-Alex

Re: Donation News

Posted by Tom Chiverton <to...@apache.org>.

Re: Donation News

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
That's true the nature of the data could change and minor tweaks to the

Re: AW: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Yes, that is another possibility as well, although in Flex Store the
phones have prices and there is a shopping cart.

-Alex

AW: Donation News

Posted by "christofer.dutz@c-ware.de" <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Just my 50ct to this Topic ...

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Donation News

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: Donation News

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
Well until we get an someone in who is an artist... here is a rough generic
smart phone graphic I tossed together.  It doesn't have any specific
dimensions.  I just eye balled it after looking through a few pages of
random phone images.

I thought about tossing our flex logo in the middle of it, but I don't have
a vectored copy of it.  Feedback is welcome, and I can always make changes
to the layers.

-Mark
[image: Inline image 1]

Re: Donation News

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Donation News

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> IIUC, we cannot use free art.
Depends on how the free art is licensed eg CC share alike are allowable. [1]

Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#cc-sa

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/28/13 10:15 AM, "Mark Kessler" <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Well we can either use some free art or we can make some simple vectors of
>our own.  I kinda of like the idea of having simple vector stock art to
>use
>in examples.  Made with something opensource like Inkscape or such... it
>would keep things in the spirit of opensource.

IIUC, we cannot use free art. IOW, you can't go to some site where it says
it is free and download it and check it into our repos.  Apache policy
indicates that that is "taking" and not donating.

But yes, having someone donate some simple art would be greatŠ

-Alex

Re: Donation News

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

RE: Donation News

>A) can you at least include the original stylesheets with the
>understanding we can't use the as-is? It's much easier to change
>existing stylesheets than it will be to reverse engineers them
I don't think I can do that, but you can always see the originals by visiting the Adobe site (at least for now).
>F) the interwebs must contain enough 'generic' phone images that come
>with a permissive license...
In general, Apache does not "take" stuff regardless of license.  It has to be donated.  I guess we could link to and/or load those images from a foreign domain, but it would be great if someone who is fluent in a drawing tool could bang out some artwork and donate it.  Probably just one phone outline in 22 different colors.

-Alex

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Donation News

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Alex, great news!

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Nothing from examples.adobe.com is on the list to be donated.  I thought
these explorers were obsoleted by TourDeFlex?

Re: Donation News

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.
That's such a great news!!!!!

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/27/13 11:55 PM, "Alexander Doroshko"
<al...@jetbrains.com> wrote:

>On 28.11.2013 11:42, Alex Harui wrote:
>> 2. A newer version of FDB that supports workers
>
>That's great! Will the future development of fdb tool at Adobe and
>Apache side be in sync? Or at least one-way sync?
I will try to keep an eye out for changes to Adobe's version.

-Alex

Re: Donation News

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.
On 28.11.2013 11:42, Alex Harui wrote:
> 2. A newer version of FDB that supports workers

That's great! Will the future development of fdb tool at Adobe and
Apache side be in sync? Or at least one-way sync?

Alexander

Re: Donation News

Posted by "jabbypanda ." <ja...@gmail.com>.
>A newer version of FDB that supports workers

That's a good news, introduction of Flash Workers to Apache Flex SDK is a
solid step forward.

--
Andriy

On 28 November 2013 10:16, christofer.dutz@c-ware.de <