Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Omar Cal <om...@adriacom.it> on 2003/04/01 08:55:23 UTC

Problems on massive indexing

Hello, i'm a newby of Lucene.

I've the following scenario:
-450.000 xml files and text files
-5 indexes, two stored and three unstored
-lucene library 1.2 (tested also 1.3RC)

When i try to index the material i've an IndexOutOfBoundException in the
call to the index.optimize() after two hours of indexing.I know there is
the bug 14355 and i think it could be the responsable for that exception.

I've tried also to index the whole material in subsequent runs but the
problem seems to depend on the number of the documents.

I've tried to set the maxFieldLength at its maximum but nothing appened.

If i split the material in "trunks" of about 20.000 - 30.000 documents
in each directory, the problem doesn't appear. Obviously i've to repeat
the searches for each "trunk" (directory).

Anyone out there with a similar scenario? Other solutions?

Thanks, Omar

Re: Problems on massive indexing

Posted by Kristian Hermsdorf <kr...@ifbus.de>.
Hi

I also got the IndexOutOfBoundException while optimizing the index (index-
size about 1GB, 50 Docs with 25 fields each).
(optimizing was called via merging of RamDirectoy to FSDirectory).
The problem was that the FieldsReader tried to read more fields than
existed ... .I've no glue how to fix it ...

bye

Kristian

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 08:55:23 +0200, Omar Cal <om...@adriacom.it> wrote:

> Hello, i'm a newby of Lucene.
>
> I've the following scenario:
> -450.000 xml files and text files
> -5 indexes, two stored and three unstored
> -lucene library 1.2 (tested also 1.3RC)
>
> When i try to index the material i've an IndexOutOfBoundException in the
> call to the index.optimize() after two hours of indexing.I know there is
> the bug 14355 and i think it could be the responsable for that exception.
>
> I've tried also to index the whole material in subsequent runs but the
> problem seems to depend on the number of the documents.
>
> I've tried to set the maxFieldLength at its maximum but nothing appened.
>
> If i split the material in "trunks" of about 20.000 - 30.000 documents in
> each directory, the problem doesn't appear. Obviously i've to repeat the
> searches for each "trunk" (directory).
>
> Anyone out there with a similar scenario? Other solutions?
>
> Thanks, Omar

ACRONYM: Acronym Causing Recursion, Obviously Numbing Your Mind

Kristian Hermsdorf

interface:projects gmbh
Tollkewitzer Straße  49
01277 Dresden