Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Steve Brewin <sb...@synsys.com> on 2003/06/23 13:43:05 UTC

Mailet/Matcher Scripting Support

Hi,

The above is done and ready to go. Seems to work, seems to scale, but I
don't have the environment to really hammer it.

There is one unfortunate gotcha that has surfaced at the last minute. With
the Apache version of BSF you can use any scripting language you want as
long as its JavaScript!

The v2.2 Bean Scripting Framework on which Mailet/Matcher scripting relies
was handed over to Apache in 2002. In November, Apache announced the first
development version - 2.3. As we speak this is far from complete and there
seems to be little development activity. The following does not bode well -
"Unfortunately, the 2.3 release, as provided to Apache, needs serious
re-organization". The recommendation is to "Please temporarily downgrade to
the last IBM release, for now."

In order to follow the recommendation I simply need to change a couple of
imports from 'org.apache' to 'com.ibm' and add IBM's BSF 2.2 .jar to the
distribution.

In the back of my mind I seem to remember that it isn't Apache policy to
distribute anything that doesn't conform to Apache's licensing terms, which
IBM's BSF doesn't. Am I correct and what is the usual workaround? We could
always say 'go get the IBM BSF jar and place it in SAR-INF/lib'.

If this is acceptable, I will modify the code and comments and submit the
code.

-- Steve