Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Underwood <ne...@icequake.net> on 2003/06/15 01:31:44 UTC

[users@httpd] VirtualCustomLog or something for massvhosting?

Hi,

Sorry about the test message, I was getting the following from the list:

--------
Sorry, only subscribers may post. If you aren't a subscriber, please
join the list before posting (see
<URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html>). If you are a subscriber,
please forward this message to users-owner@httpd.apache.org to get your
new address included (#5.7.2)
--------

Looks like the list manager goes on the "Sender" field instead of the
"From" field.

Anyway,

We are doing mass vhosting with VirtualDocumentRoot and it is working
fine.  However, I would like the users to have their own private copies
of access.log and error.log that correspond to their vhost.  Access.log
so that they can generate their own site statistics in whatever manner
they wish, and error.log so that they can do development and be able to
see the script errors without 1) dumping errors to the user of the site,
and 2) having to give them read access to the main server logs.

Is there a way to do this on a "dynamic" basis like the
VirtualDocumentRoot stuff, rather than having to set up CustomLog and
ErrorLog on a user by user basis?

Thanks for any suggestions,

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253

Re: [users@httpd] VirtualCustomLog or something for massvhosting?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> Looks like the list manager goes on the "Sender" field instead of the
> "From" field.

It goes on the "envelope sender" (how your smtp client identifies you).

> We are doing mass vhosting with VirtualDocumentRoot and it is working
> fine.  However, I would like the users to have their own private copies
> of access.log and error.log that correspond to their vhost.  Access.log
> so that they can generate their own site statistics in whatever manner
> they wish, and error.log so that they can do development and be able to
> see the script errors without 1) dumping errors to the user of the site,
> and 2) having to give them read access to the main server logs.
>
> Is there a way to do this on a "dynamic" basis like the
> VirtualDocumentRoot stuff, rather than having to set up CustomLog and
> ErrorLog on a user by user basis?

For the access_log, you can write a script that splits it out however you
want and use that through a piped log.  For the error log, there is,
unfortunately, no consistent way to distinguish between virtual hosts.

Joshua.