Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Kurt Hansen <kh...@charityweb.net> on 2004/01/08 17:25:01 UTC

Mod_perl aware web host providers

Hello,

I am looking for a linux & mod_perl aware, high quality web host
provider for 4 colocated/dedicated machines plus one router/firewall.

By high quality I mean one with very high network connectivity -- 1 or
fewer outages greater than 15 minutes between 8AM-8PM Eastern Time/year
-- and responsive customer service -- respond to urgent requests within
15 minutes.

Unreasonable? I don't think so since I used to get that level of service
from a firm called WebZone. Alas, WebZone was bought by Yipes!
(appropriately named) in 2001, and then when Yipes! went bankrupt in
2002, they decided to get out of the web hosting business -- with 3
weeks notice. The provider we chose after a quick search has not meet
the standards we need.

WRT linux & mod_perl aware, my hope is that they would have a few people
who predominantly support linux/unix machines. My experience so far with
web hosting providers suggests linux/unix techs have a different mindset
and higher performance expectations, e.g. they won't fall back onto the
common Windows solution of re-boot if the machine is acting not
according to expectations.

Any suggestions? I'll repost a summary of the top 5 I find. And, I'm
limiting my search to US providers.

I've looked on the mod_perl site for ISPs and saw the list. However,
there is no quality measurement of these and that is really what I need.
In fact, our current provider, Superb, is listed there; I know that they
are not what I define as high quality. A Google search brings up a bunch
of sites purporting to be web host rating services, but are really just
lists and thus almost assuredly ads.

I think the advice from trusted, reliable sources such as those on this
list is the best way to find good vendors.

Thank you much in advance!

Kurt Hansen
khansen@charityweb.net

Re: Mod_perl aware web host providers

Posted by "Richard F. Rebel" <rr...@whenu.com>.
Springboard Hosting in Raleigh/Durham has provided my past employer as
well as other current business associates this type of service for a few
years now.  They have hosted 40 and 50 machines that my department was
responsible for.  All Solaris/Linux apache/mod_perl mysql stuff.

They are very flexible.  Their network connectivity is good as well.

The url is http://www.springboardhosting.com.  I know some of the
techies and most are familiar with apache/mod_perl.  I am on contract
for a mod_perl development project hosted by them currently.  I have
been to their location on several occasions too, nice clean datacenter.
Rich Lee the CEO and Chris Hanks his partner/President have always been
str8 dealing as well.

FYI, I get nothing for this recommendation.  I like you have had a hard
time finding decent reliable and professional mod_perl hosting
providers.

Good luck,

Richard F. Rebel

khansen@charityweb.net