Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Peter Verhage <pe...@ibuildings.nl> on 2000/09/22 15:40:49 UTC

Tomcat or Jserv, that's the question :)

I've noticed the Cocoon 2.0 alpha release(s) only support Tomcat at the
moment. Because of the support for newer version of Java Servlet (2.2)
of Tomcat. I'm sure this will change as soon as the beta and/or the
final version will be released of Cocoon 2. But at the moment they've
chosen to only support Tomcat. What is the reason for this choice? Is
Tomcat better then Jserv?

I want this to know because Tomcat looks less mature then Jserv, but
maybe I'm missing the point here :) But what i've read about Tomcat is
that it is rather a reference implementation then a real production
enviorment implemenation. I don't know if this will change, but because
of the fact Jserv and Tomcat are both products of the Apache community,
I think in the end one will "survive". I know they are both different
kind of implementations, but I think they will at the end be one...
Again I could be wrong...

Anyway, what is the best choice for Cocoon (2)? At this moment Tomcat,
but will it still be when the final version will be released? And why
(not)?

With best regards,

Peter

--
Peter Verhage       <pe...@ibuildings.nl>
ibuildings.nl BV - information technology

RE: Tomcat or Jserv, that's the question :)

Posted by Russ White <ru...@earthlink.net>.
Just so you know, Resin integrates wonderfully with Apache. In fact, AFIK much
better than JServ.

Posted by Peter Verhage <pe...@ibuildings.nl>.

Posted by Russ White <ru...@earthlink.net>.
Peter,

The fact is the Cocoon2 will run on any Servlet 2.2 container, not just
tomcat. If you are looking for a great platform check out Resin at
http://www.caucho.com It does not have anything to do with Tomcat being
better or worse. The only factor here is the you have to code to a spec, and
the only spec that makes sense right now is Servlet 2.2, and soon probably
2.3

I am using resin 1.2.b2.snap with Cocoon2 with out any major problems (other
then the fact that it an alpha product). In fact there is not any difference
in running it on Tomcat or Resin, exception that Resin runs generally
faster, and IMHO is much easier to configure. Also Resin's implementation of
SSL is solid.

Regards,
Russ