Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Rui, Guo" <ti...@mail.ustc.edu.cn> on 2008/06/17 13:04:54 UTC

Re: svn commit: r31704 - in branches/issue-2843-dev/subversion: libsvn_client libsvn_wc

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 01:40:21PM +0800, Rui, Guo wrote:

> > > Yep! Done, waiting for commit.
> >
> > Oh -- please do that on trunk (+1 from me), and just have it come over
> > to the branch the next time you merge.
>
> Err.. My fault. I've done this on my branch after I checked all your reviews,
> along with your other suggestions. So, to fix this problem, should I merge it
> to trunk or submit a patch? Or even revert that commit and redo it in trunk?

I reverted this portion of the commit in my branch and redone it in the trunk.
I think this fixes my mistake. And I would like to ask a question about
mergeing: How often do you do it when you are working on your branch? I heard
that one may have problem next time if he does't do it frequent enough.

Rui

Re: svn commit: r31704 - in branches/issue-2843-dev/subversion: libsvn_client libsvn_wc

Posted by "Rui, Guo" <ti...@mail.ustc.edu.cn>.
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:04:11PM -0400, Karl Fogel wrote:
> "Rui, Guo" <ti...@mail.ustc.edu.cn> writes:
> > I reverted this portion of the commit in my branch and redone it in the trunk.
> > I think this fixes my mistake. And I would like to ask a question about
> > mergeing: How often do you do it when you are working on your branch? I heard
> > that one may have problem next time if he does't do it frequent enough.
>
> Okay.  (Even though I just sent a reply saying it's not necessary, it's
> fine that you redid it.  You're moving so fast I can't keep up! :-) )
I was just trying to push ahead with the progress a bit, since I have to
suspend my work for about 10 days (to attend a research conference). This is a
relatively long break and there are many miscellaneous modifications await.
I'm just a bit worried.

I believe that 'svn update' has come to a satisfactory status. However, I have
to make sure that all other commands behave correctly with svn_depth_exclude.
The first step would be take care of those passing TRUE to show_hidden
parameter of svn_wc_entry() or svn_wc_entries_read(). I'm not sure whether it
is enough, maybe new test cases can tell (I may need help on this, since I
never used all these sub-commands).

Rui

Re: svn commit: r31704 - in branches/issue-2843-dev/subversion: libsvn_client libsvn_wc

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Paul Burba" <pt...@gmail.com> writes:
> To demonstrate the problem Blair is talking about:
>
> C:\SVN>svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/file-externals
> file-externals-2
>
> C:\SVN>cd file-externals-2
>
>>C:\SVN\file-externals-2>svn merge http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk .
> ..\..\..\subversion\libsvn_ra_neon\util.c:711: (apr_err=160013)
> svn: Working copy path 'www/tasks.html' does not exist in repository
>
> The problem here is issue #3067 'subtrees that don't exist at the
> start or end of a merge range shouldn't break the merge'.
>
> The latest patch for this issue fixes this problem:
> http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=dev&msgNo=140399
>  Kamesh is reviewing this patch, but if anyone else has time to look
> at issue #3067 in any capacity...that would be quite fantastic.

Thanks, Paul.

I'd like to -- but first I'm busy reviewing your "r31059, r31060,
r31061, r31075, r31151, r31398, and r31482" group in 1.5.x/STATUS!

:-)

-Karl

Re: svn commit: r31704 - in branches/issue-2843-dev/subversion: libsvn_client libsvn_wc

Posted by Paul Burba <pt...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> wrote:
> Karl Fogel wrote:
>>
>> Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:

>>> To merge often.
>>>
>>> Do a checkout of the file-externals branch and try to merge trunk into
>>> it.
>>
>> I haven't had time to perform that experiment, but it sounds like you're
>> saying something very surprising: that if you do merges fairly
>> frequently, they fail, but if you do them less frequently, they succeed.
>>
>> I mean, you should be pulling in the same changes, it's just a question
>> of how you're batching them, right?
>
> No, I'm not saying that.  It has nothing to do with frequency.   Just that
> the current merge code doesn't handle when the issue-3000 commit into trunk
> was done then you want to merge that to another branch.

To demonstrate the problem Blair is talking about:

C:\SVN>svn co http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/branches/file-externals
file-externals-2

C:\SVN>cd file-externals-2

>C:\SVN\file-externals-2>svn merge http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk .
..\..\..\subversion\libsvn_ra_neon\util.c:711: (apr_err=160013)
svn: Working copy path 'www/tasks.html' does not exist in repository

The problem here is issue #3067 'subtrees that don't exist at the
start or end of a merge range shouldn't break the merge'.

The latest patch for this issue fixes this problem:
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=dev&msgNo=140399
 Kamesh is reviewing this patch, but if anyone else has time to look
at issue #3067 in any capacity...that would be quite fantastic.

Paul

Re: svn commit: r31704 - in branches/issue-2843-dev/subversion: libsvn_client libsvn_wc

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:
>> Karl Fogel wrote:
>>> You wish it were possible to get too far out of sync, or you wish it
>>> were possible to merge very often?
>>>
>>> (I'm assuming the former, but just want to make sure there isn't
>>> something I didn't know about :-) ).
>> To merge often.
>>
>> Do a checkout of the file-externals branch and try to merge trunk into it.
>
> I haven't had time to perform that experiment, but it sounds like you're
> saying something very surprising: that if you do merges fairly
> frequently, they fail, but if you do them less frequently, they succeed.
>
> I mean, you should be pulling in the same changes, it's just a question
> of how you're batching them, right?

No, I'm not saying that.  It has nothing to do with frequency.   Just that the
current merge code doesn't handle when the issue-3000 commit into trunk was done
then you want to merge that to another branch.

Blair

Re: svn commit: r31704 - in branches/issue-2843-dev/subversion: libsvn_client libsvn_wc

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> I thinkd say you should merge trunk to your branch quite frequently.  At
> least every few days, though of course it really depends on the rate &
> kind of changes that happen on trunk.  Don't let your branch get too far
> out of sync...

I wish that were possible with the current merging code :(

Eagerly waiting Paul's work on merges :)

Blair

Re: svn commit: r31704 - in branches/issue-2843-dev/subversion: libsvn_client libsvn_wc

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.