Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Vinod Kumar <vk...@yahoo.com> on 2006/10/04 20:55:35 UTC

How to access JSP variables inside Tiles

Hi All,
       I have included printable.jsp page in the
layout-tiles file. I have some jsp
variables (such as href, onchange etc see below in
file) in printable.jsp, which i want to
use inside tiles such as top.jsp, bottom.jsp but i
cannot use those variables as they are not
available. I get some undefined variable message. This
may be more of scope issue but I don't
know, how to get these variables accessible inside
tiles. Thanks for the help.

***********start of layout-tiles.jsp**************
<head>
	<title><tiles:insert attribute="title"/></title>
	<%@ include file="include/printable.jsp" %>
	<tiles:insert attribute="head"/>
</head>
<tiles:insert attribute="top"/>
<tiles:insert attribute="content"/>
<tiles:insert attribute="bottom"/>
**********end of layout-tiles.jsp****************

***start of printable.jsp (under include directory)
*********
<%
	String  printParm =
(String)request.getAttribute("print");
	boolean printThis = ( printParm != null  &&
printParm.equals( "1" ));
	String  href      = ( printThis ? "nohref" : "href"
);
	String  onchange  = ( printThis ? "noonchange" :
"onchange" );
	String  onblur  = ( printThis ? "nonblur" : "onblur"
);
%>
***end of printable.jsp **************

Re: How to access JSP variables inside Tiles

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.
I'm pretty sure you can't.  Is there a reason that can't be a tile?  The
whole purpose of tiles is to be a way more efficient and flexible version of
JSP Includes.  If you incorporated the contents of that include in a tile,
there's a good chance that you won't have to worry about trying to figure
out what's accessible from where.
  (*Chris*)

Posted by Vinod Kumar <vk...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Chris,
    I am still not able to make it work. Which is my
outermost tile? I think, my tiles are not embedded
into each other. Also, can I use the JSP variable
declared in printable.jsp into another tile like <a
<%= href %> = "somepage.jsp">This is link</a>

Thanks for your time.

Thanks
Vinod

--- Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Then you should be able to go to the outermost tile
> and use
> <tiles:importAttribute scope="request"/> after
> you've imported the tiles
> taglib and all the tile variables to be available to
> the jsp and jstl tags.
>   (*Chris*)
>
> On 10/4/06, Vinod Kumar <vk...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Chris,
> > Thanks for your quick response. I could not make
> it
> > to work. sorry, I am new to this stuff. In which
> tile
> > should I include <tils:importAttribite/> ? I want
> > import all the variables available in tile
> > "printable.jsp" and put them in request scope, so
> that
> > I can use them in all of the tiles.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Vinod
> >
> > --- Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > If they are tile scope variables, you either
> need to
> > > put
> > > <tiles:importAttribute/> at the top of the page
> > > put them in page scope or
> > > use the tiles tags to insert the values (like
> > > <tiles:getAsString
> > > name="href"/>)
> > >   (*Chris*)

> and
> > > still I

> link</a>

> tile.
> > > JSP
> by
> > > the
> > > available.

> in
> > > the
> > > below in
> bottom.jsp
> > > but i
> > > message.
> accessible
> > > inside

> > > layout-tiles.jsp**************
> > > file="include/printable.jsp"
> > > layout-tiles.jsp****************

> > > null
> > > "nohref"
> > > "nonblur"

> spam

> > > protection around

> > > user-help@struts.apache.org

> protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

=== message truncated ===

Re: How to access JSP variables inside Tiles

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar <vk...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.