Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Hank Laskey <CA...@aol.com> on 1999/12/10 07:35:31 UTC

os-windows/5451: Solution to #5449

>Number:         5451
>Category:       os-windows
>Synopsis:       Solution to #5449
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Gosh, was I wrong.  Apache works readily on Windows98.
The problem with the inability to identify the local host name I described in #5449 is with
Windows, as shipped, and not with Apache, and the fix is easy.  It only took me 4 more hours
to figure it out.  Is that easy, or what?
The solution is to enable DNS in the DNS Configuration menu of the Properties tab, with the TCP/IP Ethernet component highlighted, in the Internet Options section of the Control Panel.  Apparently, Windows98 is shipped with DNS not enabled, so, of course Apache can't find your host name.  If this saves you time, then think about sending money to Apache so they will mention this in the manual soon.
>How-To-Repeat:
Leave DNS disabled
>Fix:
Described above; enable DNS.