Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au> on 2006/04/13 12:46:09 UTC

strict_parsing parameter in forms handling.

The util.FieldStorage class, plus parse_qs and parse_qsl functions
take a
parameter called strict_parsing. All the documentation says is:

   The \var{strict_parsing} argument is not yet implemented.

Ie., it doesn't even say what it is meant to be for.

Does anyone know what it is meant to be for. The closest I could find as
to what it may be for is from cgi.FieldStorage documentation:

   strict_parsing: flag indicating what to do with parsing errors.
       If false (the default), errors are silently ignored.
       If true, errors raise a ValueError exception.

I don't know though what constitutes an error though.

This argument has been there back from mod_python 2.X. If it is never
going
to be implemented, is there any point really keeping it in the API?????

Graham

Re: strict_parsing parameter in forms handling.

Posted by Jim Gallacher <jp...@jgassociates.ca>.
Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> The util.FieldStorage class, plus parse_qs and parse_qsl functions  take a
> parameter called strict_parsing. All the documentation says is:
>
>   The \var{strict_parsing} argument is not yet implemented.
>
> Ie., it doesn't even say what it is meant to be for.
>
> Does anyone know what it is meant to be for. The closest I could find as
> to what it may be for is from cgi.FieldStorage documentation:
>
>   strict_parsing: flag indicating what to do with parsing errors.
>       If false (the default), errors are silently ignored.
>       If true, errors raise a ValueError exception.
>
> I don't know though what constitutes an error though.
>
> This argument has been there back from mod_python 2.X. If it is never
> going
> to be implemented, is there any point really keeping it in the API?????

I've always wondered about this one. I'd be in favour of deprecating it,
  or removing any mention of it in the docs at least.

Jim