Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Din%$h <xy...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/27 13:24:09 UTC

[Axis2]patch

Hi all,
Implemented predefined character referances (&gt, &lt, &quot, &apos and &amp
)with Guththila C implementation. Please apply this patch to SVN.

thanks,
Dinesh

--
W.Dinesh Premalal
premalwd@cse.mrt.ac.lk

Re: [Axis2]patch

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.
Din%$h wrote:

> Hi all,
>           Implemented predefined character referances (&gt, &lt,
> &quot, &apos and &amp )with Guththila C implementation. Please apply
> this patch to SVN.

Hi Dinesh,
    I applied the patch to svn. But did not test. We have some build
problems in source, will do as soon as those are resolved.
Thanks,
Samisa...

Re: [Axis2] Guththila coding convention

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 16:30 +0600, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
>

>>Could I propose that Guththila C implementation use some C friendly
>>coding convention?
>>
>>Please see
>>https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/c/xdocs/developer_guide.html
>>for the conventions defined for Axis2/C so far.
>>
>>(P.S. It is annoying to use C++ like API in a C code ;) )
>>

>+1 .. let's refactor it towards a truly C API ..

Refactoring towards a C API is done.
I used all lower case '_' seperated names with 'guththila' prefix
Please use these conventions when adding or improving Guththila code.

Thanks,
Samisa...

Re: [Axis2] Guththila needs to define a set of error returns

Posted by Damitha Kumarage <da...@gmail.com>.
Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:

> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 16:04 +0600, Dinesh Premalal wrote:
>>

>>> Guththila throws  Xml_PullParser_Exception  ()  on errors  that  code
>>> is
>>> PRIVATE int XML_PullParser_Exception (char *file, int line)
>>> {
>>>  printf ("Throws XML_PullParser_Exception \t %s \t %d \n", file, line);
>>>  exit (0);
>>> }
>>> Which says file and line number when an error occured. I think that is
>>> enough for identify the error that throwed exception. This
>>> Xml_PullParser_Exception function defined in xmlpullparser.c file.
>>> Please have a look on it.
>>

>> As a util library, under *NO* condition should Guththila ever call
>> exit()! Let's agree on an error no convention and use that instead.
>> Also, we need to set up a log mechanism (did log4c ship yet? maybe APR
>> has logging capabilities).

I looked into log4c which has bsd style licence. But did not
incorporated yet into axis2 until we have a look into apache code to see
how they do it.

damitha

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Dinesh Premalal <xy...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
On 9/29/05, Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At the moment, it guththila returns -1 on all errors,

Guththila throws Xml_PullParser_Exception () on errors that code is

PRIVATE int
XML_PullParser_Exception (char *file, int line)
{
  printf ("Throws XML_PullParser_Exception \t %s \t %d \n", file, line);
  exit (0);
}

Which says file and line number when an error occured. I think that is
enough for identify the error that throwed exception. This
Xml_PullParser_Exception function defined in xmlpullparser.c file. Please
have a look on it.

thanks,
Dinesh

however we may
> need more comprehensive error returns to be more specific on the kind of
> error.
> Axis Axis2C we havee:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/c/include/axis2c_errno.h
>
> Well, we difne our error number space relative to APR as we use APR,

but

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Re: [Axis2] Coding Style for Axis2/C

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,
    I have defined few style guidelins for the cosing style to be used
for Axis2/C.
    Please see :
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis2/trunk/c/xdocs/developer_guide.html

    Thoughts please...
Thanks,
Samisa...

Re: [Axis2]Guthtila XMLStreamWriter

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Dinesh Premalal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 9/28/05, *Samisa Abeysinghe* <samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Dinesh,
>         Any plans to implement the writer API in guththila?
>         We are very badly in need of a writer API for seralizing in AXIOM
>

> since writer api need for implement serializing in AXIOM I will look
> on it.

Thanks, I have already started on this, so if you could help validate
and test that would be great.

Also, any comments on the coding convention? :)

Thanks,
Samisa...

Posted by Damitha Kumarage <da...@gmail.com>.
Paul Fremantle wrote:

> It would be nice if AXIOM was standalone, but on the other hand if the
> code already exists in APR then it will be quicker to re-use it.
>
> I suggest that we go ahead and use APR. If it becomes too big a
> dependency then we can always add our own hash+stack later and
> refactor AXIOM to use it.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Paul

Since we are going for APR when considering portablity and efficiency
our OM is already using APR. Here the problem for Samisa is
he need  Guththila also to use APR.
Since Axis2/C and Guththila are apache projects I don't see any reason
that prevents both using APR.

cheers
damitha

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:

> Aleksander Slominski wrote:
>
>> Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
>>
>>> I am running into several problems while trying to implement the
>>> XMLStreamWriter API for guththila.
>>> Mainly, we need a stack (to push and pop elements), and a hash map
>>> (to validate namespaces)
>>

>> i think it is possible to implement the same functionality with just
>> few arrays to record positions for push/pop namespace context and do
>> linear scan of an array that has prefix->namespace  mapping instead
>> of hashmap - also you do not need to implement StAX xml stream writer
>> instead use simpler XmlPull.org subset that is more C friendly - for
>> example see XPP3 (this should be very easy to translate into C - even
>> though code is in Java the impl uses arrays and it is just one class):
>>
>> http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/viewcvs/~checkout~/XPP3/java/src/java/serializer_impl/org/xmlpull/mxp1_serializer/MXSerializer.java
>>

> Thanks for the tip. I was trying to do the the same yesterday and
> realized that I would need to do realloc in case my array runs out of
> space. Then after a while I realized instad of focusing on what needs
> to be done in stream writer I was writing more hash/stack manipulation
> code.

that code is in my MXSerializer already just replace System.arrayCopy
with little memcpy (should be even faster than in Java as no type slot
checking is done)

> What I would do for the time being is to use APR because I need to
> jump into serializing ASAP. We could revisit the implementation later
> and replace APR containers with whatever desired containers.

if you do not use hashmaps you actually get faster and smaller memory
footprint serializer for typical usage when only few prefixes are
declared - no hashtable buckets needs to be allocated and lookup is fast
linear search - if interning/has is used when searching in arrays - this
is also already in MXSerializer which uses string interning - see
getPrefix() and how i can use == instead of equals() - this could be
also done with very fast very simple hashing to make very fast scan for
prefixes.

HTH,

alek

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
I could complete the initial verion of the writer and commited in
(compiles but need to test)

Thanks,
Samisa...

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Dinesh Premalal wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>     I implemented xmlstreamwriter for Guththila as a Independent parser
>and added some test cases under Guththila/test/xmlstreamwriter please
>have a look on it.

Have you had a look into my implementation? I am already using it for
OM? How different is your's to mine?

Thanks,
Samisa...

Posted by Dinesh Premalal <pr...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>.
Hi all,

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 19:40 +0600, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:

> IMHO, use of APR in guththila is not a big issue. Why should we keep on
> re-inventing the wheel when we have all the things alredy implemented by
> APR already?

+1.

Sanjiva.

Re: [Axis2]Guthtila XMLStreamWriter

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Dinesh Premalal wrote:

> Hi,
> On 10/1/05, *Samisa Abeysinghe* <samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>
>     >On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 08:24 +0600, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     >>What I would do for the time being is to use APR because I need
>     to jump
>     >>into serializing ASAP. We could revisit the implementation later
>     and
>     >>replace APR containers with whatever desired containers.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >
>     >+1 .. let's stand on the shoulders of giants :).
>     >
>     >
>     I noticed that the pull parser code in Guththila uses strndup.
>     This is a
>     GNU only method, and not present in Win API.
>     Hence I used the strdup of APR in the stream writer.
>

> Since you are unable move forward because of unavailability of
> xmlstream writer  in  Guththila implementation it is ok to use APR for
> implementing xmlstreamwriter. Then you could carry development of  om
> But I think its good to keep Guththila as independent implementation.
>
> Therefore I started working on xmlstreamwriter independently but It
> will take some time. I think Ill be able to implement xmlstreamwriter
> with available resources in Guththila.

Well I have implementd almost everything required by the stream writer.
Why should you re-invent the weel? :( I spent almost 4 days on this code.
Please use my implementation, and if you think you got to do away with
APR plese do so in my code itself. I have clearly commented the code in
places where I use APR. You could also search for 'apr' prefix to locate
the places where APR is used.

Posted by Dinesh Premalal <xy...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Dinesh Premalal wrote:

> Hi,
> On 10/1/05, *Samisa Abeysinghe* <samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>
>     >On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 08:24 +0600, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     >>What I would do for the time being is to use APR because I need
>     to jump
>     >>into serializing ASAP. We could revisit the implementation later
>     and
>     >>replace APR containers with whatever desired containers.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >
>     >+1 .. let's stand on the shoulders of giants :).
>     >
>     >
>     I noticed that the pull parser code in Guththila uses strndup.
>

>  I happened to use strndup in Guththila code because strndup or strdup
> is unable to use with UTF-16 characters. When implementing UTF-16
> encoding support I defined
>
> #define strndup(x, y) strdupUnicode(x, y) /* this defined in unicode.h
> file */
>
> strdupUnicode is a function that is used for duplicating UTF-16
> strings. Honestly I didn't know that strndup is GNU only function.
> Now I noticed it in man page..:)

Well this is a very good example of why we should use something like
APR. Please do not get me wrong here - I am not trying to market APR ;-)

Samisa...

Re: [Axis2] VOTE: Dinesh Premalal for Committer

Posted by Manohar K Chintala <cm...@in.ibm.com>.
+1 from myside.

Regards
Manohar

             Samisa Abeysinghe
             <samisa.abeysingh
             e@gmail.com>                                               To
                                       Apache AXIS C Developers List
             10/04/2005 08:56          <ax...@ws.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         [Axis2] VOTE: Dinesh Premalal for
              "Apache AXIS C           Committer
             Developers List"

Hi All,
  I would like to nominate Dinesh Premalal to be an Axis2/C committer.
  He had contributed so much to Axis C++ with his Guththila C++
implementation as well as he is the original author of the Guththila C
implementation that we are using for OM implementation in Axis2/C.

  Here is my vote: +1.

Thanks,
Samisa...

Posted by Damitha Kumarage <da...@gmail.com>.
Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:

> Hi All,
>  I would like to nominate Dinesh Premalal to be an Axis2/C committer.
>  He had contributed so much to Axis C++ with his Guththila C++
> implementation as well as he is the original author of the Guththila C
> implementation that we are using for OM implementation in Axis2/C.
>
>  Here is my vote: +1.
>
> Thanks,
> Samisa...
>
>> Hi,
>> On 10/1/05, *Samisa Abeysinghe* <samisa.abeysinghe@gmail.com
>> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>>
>>     >On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 08:24 +0600, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >>What I would do for the time being is to use APR because I need
>>     to jump
>>     >>into serializing ASAP. We could revisit the implementation later
>>     and
>>     >>replace APR containers with whatever desired containers.
>>     >>
>>     >>
>>     >
>>     >+1 .. let's stand on the shoulders of giants :).
>>     >
>>     >
>>     I noticed that the pull parser code in Guththila uses strndup.
>>
>>  I happened to use strndup in Guththila code because strndup or
>> strdup is unable to use with UTF-16 characters. When implementing
>> UTF-16 encoding support I defined
>>
>> #define strndup(x, y) strdupUnicode(x, y) /* this defined in
>> unicode.h file */
>>
>> strdupUnicode is a function that is used for duplicating UTF-16
>> strings. Honestly I didn't know that strndup is GNU only function.
>> Now I noticed it in man page..:)
>>
>> thanks,
>> Dinesh
>>
>>     This is a
>>     GNU only method, and not present in Win API.
>>     Hence I used the strdup of APR in the stream writer.
>>
>>     When doing the coding convention refactoring we got to change
>> these in
>>     Guththila as well.
>>
>>     Thnaks,
>>     Samisa...
>>
>>     >Sanjiva.
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >
>>     >

>> --
>> W.Dinesh Premalal
>> premalwd@cse.mrt.ac.lk <ma...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>
>> http://www.cse.mrt.ac.lk/~premalwd/
>> <http://www.cse.mrt.ac.lk/%7Epremalwd/>

Here is my +1

damitha

Re: [Axis2] VOTE: Dinesh Premalal for Committer

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@gmail.com>.
Here is my +1.

Dinesh has done a good job with Gutthila.

Posted by Saminda Abeyruwan <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1

Saminda

Posted by Chamikara Jayalath <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Chamikara

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
+1 and welcome !!

Thanks,
 Deepal
~Future is Open~

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Dinesh Premalal <xy...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
On 10/1/05, Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 08:24 +0600, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
> >

> >>What I would do for the time being is to use APR because I need to jump
> >>into serializing ASAP. We could revisit the implementation later and
> >>replace APR containers with whatever desired containers.
> >>

> >+1 .. let's stand on the shoulders of giants :).
> >

> I noticed that the pull parser code in Guththila uses strndup.

I happened to use strndup in Guththila code because strndup or strdup is
unable to use with UTF-16 characters. When implementing UTF-16 encoding
support I defined

#define strndup(x, y) strdupUnicode(x, y) /* this defined in unicode.h file
*/

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dinesh Premalal <xy...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
nandika jayawardana wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> In java stax api implementation , both reader and writer API s are
> supported ,so if guththila also supports a Writer API it will be
> complete and very useful.

OK then for the time being I will place the XMLStreamWriter related code
within guththila folder. (I have to write this code now so that I could
be able to seralize OM)
This is under the assumtion that the XML stream writer should be
external to Axis2/C code base.

Thanks,
Samisa...

Posted by nandika jayawardana <ja...@gmail.com>.