Posted to users@camel.apache.org by thabach <ba...@evolootion.ch> on 2009/03/07 15:31:20 UTC

Camel in Batch Processing.

Heya

would you recommend using Camel in a Batch Processing scenario involving the
reading of some files at the end of a business day, combining data and
producing some output file ?

Is there a sample, tutorial or any pointers on how such batch processing
could be bootstrapped (with reference data for validation, enhancement) and
triggered ?

Thanks, Christian

Re: Camel in Batch Processing.

Posted by Adrian Trenaman <tr...@progress.com>.
Hi there Christian,

Sounds like the "event" that you're processing is not the appearance
of a single file, but rather a nightly occurrence which then requires
the processing of many files. Perhaps you could trigger the event
using a timer or quartz endpoint, and then do the work inside a custom
processor? Something like

	from ("timer://....")
		.process(new Processor() {
			public void process(Exchange ex)  {
				// Read in all my files

				// Do some work

				// Write to DB
			}
		});

Of course, you could break up the custom processor into a number of
processors if that made it easier.

Just a thought!

/Ade

On 10 Mar 2009, at 17:27, thabach wrote:

> Hi Adrian
>
> I watched your presentation, very nice indeed, but my scenario is more
> "batch" in nature. The piece of software I envision implementing in
> Camel is
> pretty stateful, one could say. On every trigger (initiated by a
> timer or by
> other means) the integration logic is supposed to bootstrap itself
> with
> reference data from some file(s). After having done that, it is
> supposed to
> correlate data served from some other files and do some calculations
> on the
> "loaded" data based on some criteria of the previously loaded
> reference
> data. In general processing can only start after all sources have been
> loaded into memory entirely. Does it make sense to try to model such a
> scenario with flows (and thus Camel) at all ?  Still I was
> envisioning to
> use all the nice Camel integration endpoints in interacting with the
> outside
> world :)
>
> Cheers and thank you for your advice, I appreciate.
>
> Christian.
>

> Adrian Trenaman-2 wrote:
>>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> I've got a sample of a batch file/ftp processor in my demo up on
>>

>> http://fusesource.com/wiki/display/ProdInfo/FUSE+ESB+4+Getting+Started+Tutorial+Downloads
>>
>> Maybe that might help?
>>
>> /Ade
>>
>> On 7 Mar 2009, at 14:31, thabach wrote:
>>

>>> Heya
>>>
>>> would you recommend using Camel in a Batch Processing scenario
>>> involving the
>>> reading of some files at the end of a business day, combining data
>>> and
>>> producing some output file ?
>>>
>>> Is there a sample, tutorial or any pointers on how such batch
>>> processing
>>> could be bootstrapped (with reference data for validation,
>>> enhancement) and
>>> triggered ?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Christian
>>> --
>>> Nabble.com.
>>>

>> ---
>> Adrian Trenaman, Consultant Fellow, PS - Opensource Center of
>> Competence
>> Progress Software Corp
>> Shelbourne Road, Dublin 4, Ireland
>> ---
>> +353-1-637-2659 (Office)
>> +353-1-637-2882 (Fax)
>> +353-86-6051026 (Mobile)
>>  adrian.trenaman (Skype)
>> ----
>> Blog: http://trenaman.blogspot.com

> Nabble.com.

---

Posted by thabach <ba...@evolootion.ch>.
Hi Adrian

Posted by Adrian Trenaman <tr...@progress.com>.
Hi Christian,

I've got a sample of a batch file/ftp processor in my demo up on

   http://fusesource.com/wiki/display/ProdInfo/FUSE+ESB+4+Getting+Started+Tutorial+Downloads

Maybe that might help?

/Ade

On 7 Mar 2009, at 14:31, thabach wrote:

> Heya
>
> would you recommend using Camel in a Batch Processing scenario
> involving the
> reading of some files at the end of a business day, combining data and
> producing some output file ?
>
> Is there a sample, tutorial or any pointers on how such batch
> processing
> could be bootstrapped (with reference data for validation,
> enhancement) and
> triggered ?
>
> Thanks, Christian
> Nabble.com.