Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Dingwell, Robert A." <bo...@mitre.org> on 2009/03/23 21:58:39 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem with mod_proxy returning erroneous 404 errors

Hi,

I have apache setup as a forwarding proxy server with mod_proxy.  I have an
issue though that when mod_proxy receives a connection refused from an
upstream server , instead of returning that connection refused error to the
client it is returning a 404 error instead.  Is there a way to configure
this to just return the connection refused?  And is there a reason behind
this default behavior?

If I attempt to access a server that does not exist I get a 502 error
returned as I would expect, but when it resolves the host and simply is
refused connection is when this appears to show up.

I really need the original error to be passed back through the proxy and not
rewritten as a 404 as I have squid setup behind the proxy to serve stale
content when the upstream server in question is down and currently it just
looks like I'm asking for a page that does not exist.

Thanks

Rob