Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by 王在祥 <wa...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/12 10:57:02 UTC

Harmony may provide a more general VM than JVM

Harmony is focus on provide a Tiger compatible JVM, but i think it is
possible to make it more general for other language such as .NET, Haskell,
Smalltalk etc.

the Harmony VM may define such a VM core, such as memory management, multi
thread support, object layout etc, that is general for most VM. also, it can
define a bytecode of itself as its native bytecode. then other bytecode can
be translate to the general bytecode and then JITed.

Re: Harmony may provide a more general VM than JVM

Posted by Rodrigo Kumpera <ku...@gmail.com>.
Harmony should be just a JVM. The runtime model between .NET and Java,
for example, is diferent enouth to be well harder than perform the
bytecode translation.
See IKVM, that run java bytecode on top of mono/.net.

Rodrigo

Posted by Steve Heath <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 王在祥 <wa...@gmail.com>.
Agree.