Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by giacomo <gi...@apache.org> on 2001/08/09 23:54:31 UTC

RE: Public API Change in Driver (Was Re: [GUMP] Build Failure - C ocoon2)

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, COFFMAN Steven wrote:

> We are very comitted to keeping all FOP and Cocoon releases in sync. When
> Cocoon changes Xerces and Xalan versions and JDK versions, so does FOP.
>
> We plan on making a new release of FOP this weekend, and at minimum we would
> also submit a patch to Cocoon for it to use the new API so the next release
> of Cocoon2 would sync with FOP.
>
> FOP underwent some major refactoring to massively reduce memory usage, and
> it might not be possible to make a workable deprecated API for backwards
> compatibility. (Mark?) We don't break API compatibility lightly, and don't
> expect to have to do so again in the foreseeable future. Sorry for not
> posting to Cocoon-dev earlier what was up.

Steven, thanks for the information. As Cocoon uses FOP in a
serialisation phase of resource production it is not very harmfull to us
as long as FOP's functionallity remains the same (we'll get in trouble
if you would cancel SAX support :) But sure we'd like to stay in sync.
Submitting a patch to the FOPSerializer will be very generous, thank
you.

Giacomo