Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chuck Holzwarth <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2009/04/17 15:46:20 UTC

404 errors are back in subversion 1.6.1

I started looking to upgrade from 1.5.4 to 1.6.1-2. I had looked at 1.5.6 previously but the corporate decision is to go to 1.6 soon. Under 1.5.6, the 404 errors we see appeared to go away, based on my testing. I notice they are back in 1.6.1-2. Would a graph of one of the files help debug the problem? I tried to introduce the problem in 1.6.1-2 but have not been able to. I have not upgraded the repository files to 1.6, they are still in 1.5 FSFS format.

The problem appears to be related to the way the code was introduced. Before I got here, the production versions of files from VSS were imported into the svn root. Development was being done at the head. They were checking out specific versions of files and moving them to a build system on a one by one basis. I created a tags directory and created a production version by branching the initial import and then merging the specific versions of files until that was the same as what has on the production build system. I used this to create the trunk. I then created a branches directory and created a branch and moved the directories from the svn root to that branch. The tag I created initially was then moved to an archive directory at the svn root.

When users try to merge without selecting any revision numbers 404 errors can show up.

I created a new repository with 1.6.1-2. I did notice that when I create a file on the trunk, merge it to a branch and then merge the branch back to the trunk, I get a tree conflict for the new file. Shouldn't svn be able to determine, by using the rev props, object ID and file contents that the file is the same? The only real difference is the rev number and rev props but that is covered in the rev props.

 Thank you,
Chuck Holzwarth