Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Xin Jing <xi...@beyondfun.net> on 2009/12/14 10:47:06 UTC

RE: How to check the working status of HBase

Hi all,

I am a newbie in HBase usage. I am wondering whether I can monitor the live status of HBase while it works.  Since sometimes I found hbase is toooo slow against my expectation, I want to know what it is doing when it is running. Could anybody give me some hint on that?

BTW, I can get the static status of hbase by status command in hbase shell, but it does not tell anything on the live status of hbase.

Thanks
- Xin

RE: How to check the working status of HBase

Posted by Xin Jing <xi...@beyondfun.net>.
Great thanks to Lars. It is really useful.

Thanks
- Xin
The usual approach is employing the monitoring solutions common to server
operations. Hadoop and HBase export JMX metrics as well as Ganglia contexts.
Both can be used to graph the performance of either system. That also
includes the JVM and its heap usage etc.

See this page for details:
http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase/docs/r0.20.2/metrics.html

<http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase/docs/r0.20.2/metrics.html>Lars

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.