Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/14 21:26:34 UTC

HTTP Options request (netty-http, netty4-http)

Hi,

I think that the logic of this test is wrong (
https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/camel-netty4-http/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/component/netty4/http/handlers/HttpServerChannelHandler.java#L95)
as we will only pass it if the isRestrictedToOptions boolean is false

That means that a HTTP request issued by curl, ... against the endpoint
will only get a response when the HttpMethodRestrict != OPTIONS.

As the goal of the HTTP options request is to get a Response Code 200 and
the Allow Header with methods supported (required by example by Swagger Api
with  CORS), that means that we can't use REST DSL

           rest("/").id("rest-options")
             .verb("options","/blog/article")
             .route()

as the endpoint will be defined with httpMethodRestrict=OPTIONS

[         Blueprint Extender: 3] BlueprintCamelContext          INFO
 Route: route1 started and consuming from: Endpoint[
http://0.0.0.0:9191/blog/article?httpMethodRestrict=OPTIONS]

Is me reasoning correct

Charles Moulliard
Apache Committer / Architect @RedHat

Re: HTTP Options request (netty-http, netty4-http)

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.
Even if the goal was not with first implementations of REST DSL to expose
the OPTIONS verb within the DSL, I think that it makes sense to propose it (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-9129) for the following reasons
:
- The browser will issue OPTIONS requests when CORS is enabled. This is
typically what will happen when the Swagger UI runs into a different HTTP
Server (8080) instead of the server running the Camel REST Endpoints
(9090).
- It could also be use to reply to applications interested to know which
operations are supported by the endpoints (
http://zacstewart.com/2012/04/14/http-options-method.html).

We have nevertheless to review the code about the jetty, netty, netty4, ...
components to be sure that they will send a correct response when an
OPTIONS operation is issued as this is not the case for the moment.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.