Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com> on 2012/10/17 20:25:43 UTC

Drop OVM in 4.0?

Hi All,
   Due to the bug http://bugs.cloudstack.org/browse/CS-16488 and the license issue(some files related to OVM are removed on 4.0 branch(https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=commit;h=7f8a1aabbf9b6764780e0c2ad870009c5555c2d4)), OVM is not supported on 4.0 branch, currently.
   It will take a while(maybe one or two weeks to get OVM back to work), will we wait for OVM before releasing 4.0, or move OVM into 4.1 release?

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BBITS)" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
I think this is the best outcome and compromise.

+1

Posted by "Kelcey Damage (BBITS)" <ke...@bbits.ca>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 11:10:35AM -0700, Kevin Kluge wrote:
>> There's nothing in CloudStack to track that so we cannot be definitive.
>> But, it can't be many.  We have seen few questions about its usage
>> and integration.  And OVM's share of the server virtualization market
>> is quite low.   Given limited user impact, if this is really the only
>> problem I'd defer the fix.
>
> The thing is, even if it's a small percentage of users that have
> deployed CloudStack + OVM, we'd be disappointing the shops that have
> deployed CloudStack + OVM 100%.
>
> If we were discussing why we should phase out support for OVM, it'd be
> one thing - but what seems to be on the table right now is letting
> 4.0.0-incubating out the door with no guarantee that we'll address OVM
> support in a timely fashion after, if at all.
>
> If the project is going to phase something out, we need to say so
> clearly and loudly ahead of time so interested parties have the
> opportunity to get involved and take over the feature. If nobody does,
> that's fine - but right now I'm concerned we're going to be letting down
> the users who have adopted CloudStack with OVM who had a reasonable
> expectation that the 4.0.0-incubating release would include OVM support.

So not to beat the testing drum incessantly, but to slightly diverge
from your point: Feature decisions shouldn't be decided by atrophy or
entropy. They should be conscious decisions taken by the project. To
Will's earlier comment that OVM has apparently been broken since
3.0.0, suggests that our feature list exceeds our testing capability.
We've had this same problem with other features back in 2.2.x - they
were deemed a good idea for one release, and were not tested again,
and proceeded to be unknowingly broken until someone decided to try it
and found that it didn't work (the original EIP/ELB implementation).
The cost of a feature is larger than initial development.

In the end though, no one has stood up and volunteered to own the OVM
hypervisor (even if not for 4.0); unless that changes I assume OVM is
dead within CloudStack.

--David

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Caleb Call <ca...@me.com>.
On Oct 18, 2012, at 5:06 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 03:00:03PM -0700, Edison Su wrote:
>> Nobody complains OVM doesn't work in 4.0 before, means nobody use and
>> test it on 4.0 branch since half year ago when we starting to work on
>> 4.0 release.
>
> "Since half a year ago"?
>
> Let's be realistic. How long has the 4.0 branch been in a state that
> people could test it, if they're not developers? Two months? It's not
> half a year by a long stretch. (Remember, we're talking about users and
> folks deploying CloudStack, not folks who are watching git and compiling
> it themselves.)
>
> When 3.0 was released, upgrading from 2.2 was not supported:
>
> http://www.cloudstack.org/blog/117-cloudstack-acton-released.html
>
> So let's recap:
>
> 4.0 hasn't been in a state to test realistically for more than two
> months - and that's being generous.
>
> The 3.0 release was not recommended for upgrades - so 2.2 users who did
> have OVM support wouldn't have tried to upgrade. Shortly after, the move
> to Apache was announced and the open source version effectively froze at
> 3.0.2. It's also not like every 2.2.x user has rushed to upgrade
> immediately.
>
> At least one user has spoken up on cloudstack-user to voice support for
> OVM. I don't know how many folks don't read the lists and aren't aware
> of the potential for it to be dropped. Having been through this scenario
> before when openSUSE dropped PPC, I'm guessing we will hear from folks
> after the 4.0.0-incubating release actually hits the streets and the few
> OVM users who were hoping to upgrade can't.
>
> If nothing else, I hope this is the only time this kind of feature
> attrition happens without giving folks due notice to pick up the
> feature.
> --
> Joe Brockmeier
> Twitter: @jzb
> http://dissociatedpress.net/

I think I'm the one you're referring to speaking up on the users list.  We currently are not using OVM under Cloudstack but it's on our near term project list (we were hoping in the next month to start that piece).  The Oracle Management tools are an abortion at best, so Cloudstack was very attractive because we could pull all our virtualization management under one roof.  So I'm 100% in favor keeping OVM support, however, not being a developer means I can contribute by submitting bugs, feature requests, etc but I'm not able to take any kind of development ownership of this feature.

Not being a developer, I don't know the answer to this from a code stand-point, but OVM is a fork of Xen, how much different are they to support?

My points were similar to what Joe has been saying, if it's dropping, that's fine but even in 3.x, the claim was there that it supported OVM (wether it worked or not doesn't matter, IMO).  If it's not in 4.0, I also don't think that's a deal breaker for us, but I'd like to know that it will be in 4.0.x or even 4.1, just that the support will continue to be there.  I also brought up the concern that if there is a customer currently using OVM, and they upgrade to 4.0, they'll have a broken environment.  So the upgrade ought to include something that checks for OVM use, if it's there it fails to upgrade.  Users may be upset that they can't upgrade, but atleast their environments won't be broken.

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.
+1 to fix it for 4.0.1 version
-1 to drop it

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.
[...]

I like to hear the voice from OVM user or developer. How many users are caring about OVM? Is there any other developer, other than people coming from Citrix, can or want fix OVM issues? Is it acceptable to move OVM to 4.0.x release?

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Kevin Kluge <Ke...@citrix.com>.
There's nothing in CloudStack to track that so we cannot be definitive.  But, it can't be many.  We have seen few questions about its usage and integration.  And OVM's share of the server virtualization market is quite low.   Given limited user impact, if this is really the only problem I'd defer the fix.

-kevin

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com>.

This phone home feature is something I would love to see in the product.  We just haven't had the time to implement such a thing.

Will

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

On Oct 18, 2012, at 10:01 AM, Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com> wrote:

> It will take > week to get the existing OVM support to work again.  The reason being CloudPlatform doesn't have this working in our recent releases since Acton.  Adding support for the latest OVM will take even longer.
>
> I would vote to have OVM be fixed in a later 4.0.x release.
>
> Will

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Jessica Tomechak <Je...@citrix.com>.
So, we should drop mention of OVM in CloudStack docs? There are a couple of mentions, such as in the adding-a-host section.

Jessica T.
CloudStack Tech Pubs

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com>.

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Frank Zhang <Fr...@citrix.com>.

At least

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

Yah, support the latest OVM is almost like rewrite the current OVM code, it will take months to get it done.

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
+1 on fixing in a 4.0.x.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Caleb Call <ca...@me.com>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.
In the process of logging it in to ASF as well.

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Outback Dingo <ou...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com> wrote:
> We definitely need to add these same issues in ASF Jira if it's still there.
>
> Will

OVM - Oracle VM ?? drop it, kick it to the curb, deliver 4.0, fix later

Re: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Outback Dingo <ou...@gmail.com>.

RE: Drop OVM in 4.0?

Posted by Will Chan <wi...@citrix.com>.