Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Efri Nattel-Shay <ef...@optier.com> on 2004/05/11 19:31:57 UTC

Removal of "Server" and "Date" HTTP headers

My module (for Apache 2.x, I'm using the 2.0.47 code) needs to check the
"Server" HTTP response header.

{bg info begin
this is to see if a proxy module running before me had changed it.
bg info end}

So I hook using ap_hook_log_transaction(), and in there I check
r->headers_out for "Server". But it's not there! Someone mean unset the
header, in http_protocol.c - inside basic_http_header(), and it's too late
for me to do anything. The change is in version 1.400, and it still there in
1.479, as far as I can see:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/httpd-2.0/modules/http/http_protocol.c.diff?r1=1.399&r2=1.400

What is there to do?! Am I doomed to write an ugly output filter for that?
If these headers are that unique, wouldn't it be a good idea to dignify them
with fields of their own in the request_req struct?

--
TIA,
Efri Nattel-Shay