Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/20 23:48:10 UTC

non-commiters

I know the point of the easyfix / easytest labels to to allow new people a
good starting point to help out.  On confirmations by someone that an issue
longer produces the bug, confirming and closing out the ticket makes
sense.  But on ones where they confirm it still exists, do we just leave it
until a fix is suggested or a patch is submitted?

Don't want to preemptively solve issues if they are there to entice people
to contribute.

-Mark

Re: non-commiters

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> But honestly whats 3339 open issues among friends :p

At the currently rate of fixing about 2 years :-)

And there's these one's:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12321179

There's  4375 in this state. They were issues Adobe put off doing until a later version of the SDK that where never looked at again.  Some of them would still be issues.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: non-commiters

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thanks guy,

But honestly whats 3339 open issues among friends :p

You know if we closed some of those resolved(that are marked open),  our
closed percentage would be almost 90%.

-Mark

Re: non-commiters

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> On confirmations by someone that an issue longer produces the bug,
> confirming and closing out the ticket makes sense.
Nope don't close until it actually fix or it's not an issue in some other way.

>  But on ones where they confirm it still exists, do we just leave it
> until a fix is suggested or a patch is submitted?
Yep or fix it.

> Don't want to preemptively solve issues if they are there to entice people
> to contribute.

There's more than enough bugs to fix to around :-) If you can fix one even an easy one do so.

Justin

Re: non-commiters

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> But the [2] second one he confirmed it's still a bug and that's where my question came in.
> Should I just leave it until it a fix, suggested fix is posted on it?
Up to you if you have the time and skill and inclination to fix it go right ahead, if not the bug is now in a state where someone is more likely to try and fix it. If you think it's an important bug vote for it that may bring it to the attention of another committer/user.

I know Alex stated that no one is under any obligation to fix any bug, however it's part of the committer's and PMC's responsibility to produce quality software as per the Apache Way.  In my books that includes fixing bugs but there are many way of contributing.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: non-commiters

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/20/13 4:30 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> For me, if someone started complaining that one of the easy fix bugs was
>> affecting their productivity with Flex, but they didn't have the skills or
>> time to fix it, and nobody else jumped in, then I'd go and fix it for them.
>
> You mean like this one:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-18697
>
> Just saying there lots of low hanging fruit. :-)
For sure, but I hadn't noticed anyone complaining.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: non-commiters

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: non-commiters

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/20/13 3:43 PM, "Mark Kessler" <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Should I
> just leave it until it a fix, suggested fix is posted on it?
IMO, you are under no obligation to fix any bug.  But I'm really glad to see
your activity level so far.

Re: non-commiters

Posted by Mark Kessler <ke...@gmail.com>.
I'm just searching for keywords or components I'm still working on and
working on those issues out of convenience.  Not really by the labels,
which explains the randomness of what I'm working on.

But my questions where based on 2 example issues. The first issue [1]
Jeremy confirmed the bug no longer existed.  So I handled the issue
(tested, closed out), which seemed reasonable.  But the [2] second one he
confirmed it's still a bug and that's where my question came in.  Should I
just leave it until it a fix, suggested fix is posted on it?  I mean we put
those labels on there like honey-pots lol.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-26157
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-28064

-Mark

Re: non-commiters