Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> on 2011/07/23 20:40:12 UTC

When does one become a committer?

After we vote in a new committer, there are several steps that follow,
including sending them an note telling them they've been voted in,
having them return an iCLA, waiting for the iCLA to be recorded,
choosing an Apache ID, getting an Apache account, etc.

At what point are they considered officially to be a committer?  For
example, at what point can they veto a code modification?

I'm trying to better understand the status of those who never complete
the above set of steps.

-Rob

Re: When does one become a committer?

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
I don't think we closed on this discussion.  How long to we keep the
initial committer's invitations valid?

I was suggesting Sept 15th as a cut-off.

I thought we were going to send out one final reminder to all who had
not responded yet.  Did that happen?

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
For me the main point is the vote. You should note that it is still
possible that one can rejecting the vote and still keep the role as a
normal contributor, user, etc. So, no vote, no committer status. *)
Everything else like signed iCLA, chosen ID, subscribing to mailing
lists is kind of following a process.

*)
Of course this doesn't count for the inital committer. Here the ID could
be the important part.

Marcus

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 23 July 2011 19:40, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:
> After we vote in a new committer, there are several steps that follow,
> including sending them an note telling them they've been voted in,
> having them return an iCLA, waiting for the iCLA to be recorded,
> choosing an Apache ID, getting an Apache account, etc.
>
> At what point are they considered officially to be a committer?  For
> example, at what point can they veto a code modification?

An interesting question - one I've never considered before.  There is
no policy on this that I am aware of. I would say that on all the
projects I have experience it is at the point the public statement is
made.

Of course, since the (P)PMC have voted in the committer they should
have been considering the individuals opinion as "binding" for a while
already (meaning they are already a valued member of the community and
have demonstrated value to and an understanding of the project
already.

> I'm trying to better understand the status of those who never complete
> the above set of steps.

If the "trigger point" is the public announcement then the individual
will have accepted but not necessarily submitted an ICLA. However, an
ICLA is only needed for commit access (or significant contributions).
Remember a veto needs to be supported with an alternative
implementation and a willingness to help implement the alternative. If
the individual has no ICLA on file and nobody supports the veto then
there is nobody to implement the alternative. So it is entirely
possible that a veto under these circumstances would not be valid.

Given that a veto is an action of last resort I wouldn't worry about
this anyway, community mechanisms tend to deal with these things if
they ever emerge.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

RE: When does one become a committer?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I favor Rob's perspective on this.  I think 6 months is too long for someone who has never served as a committer or demonstrated contribution (i.e., an invisible Initial Committer), but 6 months might be fine for established committers who then, either immediately or eventually stop contributing.  We are talking about a 3 month rule for no-shows and I think that should work for all manner of no-shows.  It will usually be simple enough to notify us of an extended absence for any reason.

I would think that similar rules could apply to the PPMC members who don't participate (e.g., don't discuss and don't vote at all).

I like the 6 months rule for established PPMC members as well mainly because, at this stage of the podling there are more of us than there is work to do in our areas of competence.  There are varieties of learning-curve steepness.  And there is yet to be a transfer of artifacts that we can get our teeth into, along with alignment on which artifacts get worked on where.

We will need to keep better records on who arrived when, it seems.

 - Dennis

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.