Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Raji Sridar <ra...@cisco.com> on 2005/09/09 19:49:44 UTC

Are you happy with Derby?

Hello Derby Users,

I recently subscribed to this group.
We are evaluating a open source database for a windows based network
management product for the commercial market.
The criteria is to have zero cost, zero admin, small footprint, with max
reliability and good support availability.
We are looking the ability to prototype and develop fast - hence
planning to use Hibernate in conjunction with Derby.
We are not looking for database features like client-server, redundancy,
replication, high availability, 2-phase commit.....
For these criteria, do you agree that Derby is the best choice?
Please give your opinions and suggestions - I appreciate and value your
opinions.

Sincerely,
Raji

Re: Are you happy with Derby?

Posted by Dan Scott <de...@gmail.com>.
On 9/9/05, Michael J. Segel <ms...@segel.com> wrote:

<snip>

> The only drawback is that Derby is under GPL. So as long as you follow GPL's
> rules, you're ok.

Umm, not GPL -- Apache License, Version 2.0
(http://db.apache.org/derby/license.html). Major difference :)

Dan

Re: Are you happy with Derby?

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 9/9/05, Michael J. Segel <ms...@segel.com> wrote:

> The only drawback is that Derby is under GPL. So as long as you follow GPL's
> rules, you're ok.

Being an Apache project, Derby is licensed under the ASL v2, not GPL.

http://db.apache.org/derby/license.html
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

andrew

Re: Are you happy with Derby?

Posted by "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Be...@Sun.COM>.
> The only drawback is that Derby is under GPL. So as long as you follow GPL's
> rules, you're ok.

Derby is under Apache License, Version 2.0. See http://db.apache.org/derby/license.html

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway

Re: Are you happy with Derby?

Posted by "Michael J. Segel" <ms...@segel.com>.
On Friday 09 September 2005 12:49, Raji Sridar wrote:
First take what I say with a grain of Salt....
You're asking a Derby list so you're going to get a positive and biased
response. The short answer is yes.

> Hello Derby Users,
>
> I recently subscribed to this group.
> We are evaluating a open source database for a windows based network
> management product for the commercial market.
> The criteria is to have zero cost, zero admin, small footprint, with max
> reliability and good support availability.

Derby is really your only option.

With respect to other alternatives, I don't believe MySQL is "free" if you're
going to embed it in an app for resale.

Of all of the "free" RDBMSs, Derby has the smallest footprint, and since its a
derivative of Cloudscape, its already been used and proven in the type of
application that you're attempting to build. You could use PostGress, but
again, you're getting a lot of additional features that you really don't need
or want.

The only caveat is your "good support" criteria.
"Good Support" is relative. You get what you pay for...

> We are looking the ability to prototype and develop fast - hence
> planning to use Hibernate in conjunction with Derby.
> We are not looking for database features like client-server, redundancy,
> replication, high availability, 2-phase commit.....
> For these criteria, do you agree that Derby is the best choice?
> Please give your opinions and suggestions - I appreciate and value your
> opinions.
>
> Sincerely,
> Raji

As I said, you're going to get a biased response.

I like others are looking at Derby from a similar perspective.

--
Michael Segel
Principal

Re: Are you happy with Derby?

Posted by Charlie Kelly <Ch...@CharlieKelly.com>.
Hi Raji,

I use Derby with Hibernate inside an Eclipse Rich Client Platform
security/encryption application.
It performs flawlessly.
I recommend it highly.

Charlie