Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2018/11/06 08:17:48 UTC

Restarting an IPMC?

Hi all,

as it seems and as I have reported in the last podling report, the Apache Edgent project had been suffering of one of the things that happen if you don’t have a diverse committer base.
After IBM pulling out the Edgent contributors we are left effectively with only me. After mentioning my thoughts about asking to retire Edgent, some people have been popping up stating their academic work being based somewhat on Edgent and their willingness to start actively participating.

So I have a few questions:

  1.  Is there anyone here on this list, willing to contribute as Committer/PPMC or even as Mentor?
  2.  Is it possible to sort of reset a podling IPMC and start with a new set of people?
  3.  Should we retire, continue outside and come back as soon as we have a new little community?

I would definitely prefer 1 and 2 being answered positively ;-)

Chris

Re: Restarting an IPMC?

Re: Restarting an IPMC?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Well I guess then I'll simply step up as third mentor on Edgent.
> Do I formally have to do anything for this?

Ask the PPMC if they are willing to take you on as a mentor would be the best way.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Restarting an IPMC?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well I guess then I'll simply step up as third mentor on Edgent.
Do I formally have to do anything for this?

Chris

Am 06.11.18, 09:26 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com>:

    Hi,

    Good to see that the honest (stark even) podling report got several people expressing interest in the project.

    >  1.  Is there anyone here on this list, willing to contribute as Committer/PPMC or even as Mentor?

    I’m happy to continue as a mentor, the project currently has 2 mentors. If no one steps up, you Chris as a recent IPMC member could be a mentor. Or is that a bit too weird?

    >  2.  Is it possible to sort of reset a podling IPMC and start with a new set of people?

    The existing PPMC would need to vote new people in, I think you have enough active PPMC members (just) to do that.

    >  3.  Should we retire, continue outside and come back as soon as we have a new little community?

    That is also an option for the PPM to consider.

    Thanks,
    Justin

Re: Restarting an IPMC?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 12:26 AM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Good to see that the honest (stark even) podling report got several people expressing interest in the project.
>
> >  1.  Is there anyone here on this list, willing to contribute as Committer/PPMC or even as Mentor?
>
> I’m happy to continue as a mentor, the project currently has 2 mentors. If no one steps up, you Chris as a recent IPMC member could be a mentor. Or is that a bit too weird?

Same here.

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Re: Restarting an IPMC?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Restarting an IPMC?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 9:32 AM Christofer Dutz
<ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:
> ...So we could do the following ... I nominate some new PPMCs and start a vote.
> If not enough votes come in, I'll come back here asking for the IPMCs assistance again....

I think that works and apparently you have two active mentors so you
might need just one extra vote to get (re)started.

-Bertrand

Re: Restarting an IPMC?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

well that's the main problem ... I doubt that we would have enough PPMCs voting.
I had addressed a security problem some time ago and didn't get a single response on the private list.

So we could do the following ... I nominate some new PPMCs and start a vote.
If not enough votes come in, I'll come back here asking for the IPMCs assistance again.

And regarding leaving: I would really like to stay as it took quite some effort setting up everything and having it run nicely on our systems.
Leaving with the intention of coming back would be weird. And we would have to stop calling it Edgent and would have to change the package and artifact names ...

Chris

Am 06.11.18, 09:27 schrieb "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@codeconsult.ch>:

    Hi Chris,

    On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 9:19 AM Christofer Dutz
    <ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:
    > ...  2.  Is it possible to sort of reset a podling IPMC and start with a new set of people?...

    I think the easiest is to have the existing PMC vote in new members.

    If that doesn't work, I think the votes of Incubator PMC members (who
    are not necessarily mentors of that podling) are valid for electing
    new podling committers and PPMC members. In the end the Incubator PMC
    is in charge of all podlings.

    By the way I think you mean "restarting a PPMC" in the subject line.

    -Bertrand

Re: Restarting an IPMC?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi Chris,