Posted to commits@couchdb.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2010/12/01 17:51:14 UTC

[Couchdb Wiki] Update of "Error_messages" by GermanGalkin

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Couchdb Wiki" for change notification.

The "Error_messages" page has been changed by GermanGalkin.
The comment on this change is: added second solution to "start up error" section.
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Error_messages?action=diff&rev1=26&rev2=27

  sudo port install couchdb
  }}}

- === Gentoo failed start up error ===
+ === Failed start up error ===

- I got this error on gentoo:
+ '''Problem''' I got this error on gentoo:

  {{{
  =SUPERVISOR REPORT==== 14-Sep-2010::06:34:21 ===
@@ -351, +351 @@

  I surmise the problem is that once you've run couchdb as root once, it mucks up all the file ownerships so you can't run it as the couchdb user again.

- So my fix was to totally delete it all and start again, like this (running as root):
+ '''Solution 1''' So my fix was to totally delete it all and start again, like this (running as root):

  {{{
  /etc/init.d/couchdb stop
@@ -387, +387 @@

  If you really can't loose whatever data and configs you have .. or you could back them up first :)

+
+ '''Solution 2'''
+ I've got the same error on Ubuntu, it turned out to be a permissions issue for the log file ("/var/log/couchdb/couch.log" as specified in default.ini).
+ You can adjust permissions/ownership for the file or override log file location in local.ini (or in your favorite file in the config chain):
+
+ {{{
+ [log]
+ file = /home/couchdb/log/couch.log