Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> on 2014/12/31 19:21:40 UTC

Re: Big performance difference between "client" and "cluster" deployment mode; is this expected?

-dev, +user

A decent guess: Does your 'save' function entail collecting data back
to the driver? and are you running this from a machine that's not in
your Spark cluster? Then in client mode you're shipping data back to a
less-nearby machine, compared to with cluster mode. That could explain
the bottleneck.

Posted by Enno Shioji <es...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tathagata,

It's a standalone cluster. The submit commands are:

== CLIENT
spark-submit --class com.fake.Test \
--deploy-mode client --master spark://fake.com:7077 \
fake.jar <arguments>

== CLUSTER
 spark-submit --class com.fake.Test \
 --deploy-mode cluster --master spark://fake.com:7077 \
 s3n://fake.jar <arguments>

And they are both occupying all available slots. (8 * 2 machine = 16 slots).

ᐧ

Posted by Tathagata Das <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enno Shioji <es...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enno Shioji <es...@gmail.com>.