Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com> on 2002/04/04 03:49:20 UTC

[DVSL] Memory problems

I'm using DVSL to transform some reports for Maven, and I'm running into
memory problems it seems.  The size of the input file is about 6Meg.  My
computer has 512Meg and only only 77Meg is used by the JVM before it
craps out on me.  I've posted the XML input file and DVSL stylesheet on
my web server in the event anyone wants to try and recreate.

http://www.kazmier.com/~kaz/vel-dev-list/site.dvsl
http://www.kazmier.com/~kaz/vel-dev-list/checkstyle-report.xml

Here is the exception I get:

[kaz@coco jakarta-turbine-maven]$ java org.apache.tools.dvsl.DVSL -STYLE ~/public_html/vel-dev-list/site.dvsl-IN ~/public_html/vel-dev-list/checkstyle-report.xml > /tmp/report.html

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of method 'applyTemplates' in  class org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer threw exception class org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException : Invocation of method 'applyTemplates' in  class org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer threw exception class org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException : Invocation of method 'applyTemplates' in  class org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer threw exception class java.lang.OutOfMemoryError : null
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.execute(ASTMethod.java:308)
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.java:207)
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.render(ASTReference.java:250)
    at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTBlock.render(ASTBlock.java:94)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.TemplateHandler.render(TemplateHandler.java:143)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer.invoke(Transformer.java:216)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer.transform(Transformer.java:201)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer.transform(Transformer.java:179)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.Transformer.transform(Transformer.java:165)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.DVSL.xform(DVSL.java:531)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.DVSL.transform(DVSL.java:569)
    at org.apache.tools.dvsl.DVSL.main(DVSL.java:698)

It should be noted that I am not using DVSL from the command line like
this in Maven, instead I use the Ant DVSL task, in which case the "Out of
Memory" problems occur with an input file thats only 3Meg in size.  To
recreate the problem using the command-line, I had to roughly double the
size of the input file.  Nonetheless, the result is the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pete

Re: [DVSL] Memory problems

Posted by Pete Kazmier <pe...@kazmier.com>.
On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 10:22:16AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up - glad you can keep working, but we have to fix
> this.  Can you keep the examples up?

Sure.  They'll be there for you.

Re: [DVSL] Memory problems

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 4/5/02 10:10 AM, "Pete Kazmier" <pe...@kazmier.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 08:49:20PM -0500, Pete Kazmier wrote:
>> I'm using DVSL to transform some reports for Maven, and I'm running into
>> memory problems it seems.  The size of the input file is about 6Meg.
>
> To workaround the memory problems, I've just increased the maximum heap
> size of the JVM with the -Xmx option.  In my case, I've simply doubled
> the default heap size to 128Meg.  This resolves the OutOfMemory problem.

Sorry for not getting back sooner - I was staring at it a little.

Thanks for the heads up - glad you can keep working, but we have to fix
this.  Can you keep the examples up?

System and Software Consulting
"Now what do we do?"

Re: [DVSL] Memory problems