Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Gosselin, Michael" <Mi...@AthenaDiagnostics.com> on 2006/01/25 18:12:07 UTC

Printing on HP Unix using FOP

Hello,

We have installed FOP on our HP/Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (Rev. 1885)
operating system.  We've done this so I can develop a java program to print
a PDF (or other similarly rendered file) to a printer.

The documentation for fop -print help is, well, limited.  There seems to be
some setup we need to do in order to get this working.

Has anyone been able to create a PDF file using FOP, and then print it to a
printer?

All help is appreciated.

Oh, I can see the Yahoo! group, but searching for "-print" doesn't help
much.

Michael Gosselin

Re: Printing on HP Unix using FOP

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Gosselin, Michael wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have installed FOP on our HP/Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A (Rev. 1885)
> operating system.  We've done this so I can develop a java program to print
> a PDF (or other similarly rendered file) to a printer.

What version of FOP are you using?

> The documentation for fop -print help is, well, limited.  There seems to be
> some setup we need to do in order to get this working.

I replied to this in the other thread on fop-dev. It uses the AWT
Renderer, which looks nothing like PDF.

> Has anyone been able to create a PDF file using FOP, and then print it to a
> printer?

The PDF and PS Renderer use identical Font metrics and common layout
algorithms. If you are using 0.20.5 though, the PS Renderer has a few
bug and missing features compared to PDF. In 0.91beta, their
functionality is equivalent.

The recommended approach is to render a PS file, and then use the lp
command to send the PS file directly to the Printer. Assuming your
Printer understands Postscript of course ;)

Chris