Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Ramesh Mandava <Ra...@sun.com> on 2002/12/03 18:42:06 UTC

[Proposal] Using ListResourceBundle ( for I18N/L10N ) in all Xalan packages/ Donation of code and localized messages for Xalan

Hi,

  Sun Microsystems is willing to donote the  translated localized messages ( 9
languages +
English) for Xalan. These translated messages are also part of JDK which Sun
ships. This is done using ListResource bundle and standard property lookup.

  Right now Xalan uses ListResourceBundle for xml/util packages and for xalan
and xpath packages it uses PropertyResourceBundle. It would be better if all the
parts of Xalan uses the standard ListResource Bundle mechanism. This should
reduce customization ( of messages in GUI/ Non GUI environment ) quite a lot and
will enable every developer of Xalan to use I18n'ed and l10n'ed code out-of-box.

  Proposal:
    -Use ListResourceBundle for all I18N/L10N of all Xalan pacakages
    -Keep the Key Names same as we have them

  As the proposal is to keep the Keys same as we have now, there won't be much
impact of this change.

    What do we need from you ?

  - Feedback about how does it affect your application, if at all.

  If we have agreement on using ListResourceBundle all around, then Sun can
contribute the needed code and  localized messages in 9 languages apart from
English.

  Thanks
  -Ramesh