Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Adam Mercer <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/27 00:46:51 UTC

failure when trying to set svn:executable property

Hi

I'm trying to set the svn:executable property in one of my
repositories yet I get the following error when trying to do this

[ram@zippy waveburst]$ ls -l
total 48
-rw-r--r--   1 ram  ram   157 Feb 26 19:38 config.ini
-rw-r--r--   1 ram  ram  1846 Feb 26 19:38 framelist.pl
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ram  ram   216 Feb 26 19:38 generateDAG.pl
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ram  ram   183 Feb 26 19:38 generateIn.pl
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ram  ram   796 Feb 26 19:38 pre.pl
-rwxr-xr-x   1 ram  ram  3005 Feb 26 19:38 waveburst_break.py
[ram@zippy waveburst]$ svn propset svn:executable framelist.pl
svn: Explicit target required ('framelist.pl' interpreted as prop value)
[ram@zippy waveburst]$

Any idea why this is happening as I could set the executable property
on all the other scripts in this repository without this error.

Cheers

Adam

Re: failure when trying to set svn:executable property

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.
Adam Mercer wrote:

>[ram@zippy waveburst]$ svn propset svn:executable framelist.pl
>svn: Explicit target required ('framelist.pl' interpreted as prop value)

You are trying to set the property value to "framelist.pl" and not
specifying a filename to set the property on.  It's exactly what the
error message states.

--
Sly

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: failure when trying to set svn:executable property

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 27, 2006, at 02:40, Adam Mercer wrote:

>> svn propset svn:executable ON framelist.pl
>>
>> ...where "ON" can actually be any value at all, even,
>> counterintuitively, for example "OFF". To turn it off again, you
>> would need to use:
>>
>> svn propdel svn:executable framelist.pl
>
> Thanks that did it, but why did it work for the other scripts?

Looking back at the list of files you showed...

> [ram@zippy waveburst]$ ls -l
> total 48
> -rw-r--r--   1 ram  ram   157 Feb 26 19:38 config.ini
> -rw-r--r--   1 ram  ram  1846 Feb 26 19:38 framelist.pl
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 ram  ram   216 Feb 26 19:38 generateDAG.pl
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 ram  ram   183 Feb 26 19:38 generateIn.pl
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 ram  ram   796 Feb 26 19:38 pre.pl
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 ram  ram  3005 Feb 26 19:38 waveburst_break.py

I'm betting you did something like this:

$ svn propset svn:executable *.pl *.py

What you have to know is that your shell expands those asterisks
before Subversion ever sees the command. So what gets passed to
Subversion is actually this:

$ svn propset svn:executable framelist.pl generateDAG.pl
generateIn.pl pre.pl waveburst_break.py

In other words, Subversion sets the svn:executable property of the
files generateDAG.pl, generateIn.pl, pre.pl and waveburst_break.py to
"framelist.pl", which, just like any other value, is a valid value
for that property which turns on the executable bit.

Re: failure when trying to set svn:executable property

Posted by Adam Mercer <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 27, 2006, at 01:46, Adam Mercer wrote:

> I'm trying to set the svn:executable property in one of my
> repositories yet I get the following error when trying to do this
>
> [ram@zippy waveburst]$ svn propset svn:executable framelist.pl
> svn: Explicit target required ('framelist.pl' interpreted as prop
> value)
> [ram@zippy waveburst]$
>
> Any idea why this is happening as I could set the executable property
> on all the other scripts in this repository without this error.

$ svn help propset
propset (pset, ps): Set the value of a property on files, dirs, or
revisions.
usage: 1. propset PROPNAME PROPVAL PATH...
        2. propset PROPNAME --revprop -r REV PROPVAL [TARGET]
[snip]

You're missing a parameter: the PROPVAL part of the 1st line of the
usage example. Subversion interpreted it differently though, as the
error message said: it interpreted "framelist.pl" as the value you
wanted assigned to the svn:executable property, but then didn't know
on which file to set it. You probably meant: