Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> on 2013/09/20 17:50:26 UTC

Is there a need for a "Assisten mentor"?

Hi at all

After now nearly two years at Apache, I would like to come back to
incubator and help new projects. I don't ask for a mentor roul, but if a
mentor would give me a hand and then I would be happy to join a project
as a "assistent mentor".

My name is Raphael Bircher. Same know me from the ApacheCon Europe 2012,
others know me from the Apache OpenOffice or the infra list. I'm
Commetter and PMC at the Apache OpenOffice project. My main work is in
Quality Assurance. I'm allready 8 years involved at Apache OpenOffice
and the formar OpenOffice.org project.

I living in a small town between the mountains in Switzerland.

Greetings Raphael

Re: Is there a need for a "Assisten mentor"?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Raphael,

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:
> ...After now nearly two years at Apache, I would like to come back to incubator
> and help new projects. I don't ask for a mentor roul, but if a mentor would
> give me a hand and then I would be happy to join a project as a "assistent
> mentor"....

That's fine in principle, we've had a few podlings in the past with a
mix of experienced and first-time mentors, and it's a great way for
both categories to learn and progress.

> ...I'm Committer and PMC at the Apache OpenOffice project...

Which is a good starting point for being a mentor.

The thing is that you'd need to be elected on the Incubator PMC to
become a mentor - the best way to do that is to talk to incubator PMC
or Apache foundation members that know your work at Apache and would
support your election, so that when the time comes you can get in.

> ...I living in a small town between the mountains in Switzerland....

That sounds great ;-)

-Bertrand (living near Lausanne)

Re: Is there a need for a "Assisten mentor"?

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> Hi at all
>>
>> After now nearly two years at Apache, I would like to come back to incubator
>> and help new projects. I don't ask for a mentor roul, but if a mentor would
>> give me a hand and then I would be happy to join a project as a "assistent
>> mentor".
>
> A suggestion: perhaps starting with shepherding  duties next month would
> be a good way to engage with the incubator mentorship role?

Additional shepherd volunteers would be very helpful.  Up till now, all
shepherds have been IPMC members, but the Incubator's report is a collective
work of the community.

Something to think about: On our last report, one podling's Mentors felt that
the shepherd's comments required a response.  It's a good thing that the
shepherd comments were filed early enough in this case to allow time for that
response.

With that in mind, I'd like to make a small change to how we schedule
shepherding, which will hopefully make things go more smoothly for shepherds
of all experience levels.

*   Shepherd slots will be assigned earlier -- two weeks before the
    report is due (and three weeks before the Board meeting).
*   Shepherd comments will be due by the end of the Sunday before the
    Wednesday we file the report (instead of Tuesday like last cycle.)
*   The compendium of shepherd comments will be sent to general@incubator on
    Monday, allowing 2-3 days for people to respond if necessary.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Is there a need for a "Assisten mentor"?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Hi at all
>
> After now nearly two years at Apache, I would like to come back to incubator
> and help new projects. I don't ask for a mentor roul, but if a mentor would
> give me a hand and then I would be happy to join a project as a "assistent
> mentor".

A suggestion: perhaps starting with shepherding  duties next month would
be a good way to engage with the incubator mentorship role?

Thanks,
Roman.