Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Tuncay Baskan (İnternet Grubu)" <Tu...@intertech.com.tr> on 2002/12/02 08:35:58 UTC

Struts administrative funcs

Hello,

I remember struts administrative actions in struts-config.xml (back in 1.0
days). Are there still admin actions in 1.1? (At least to reload
configuration and action classes).

Btw, how do you develop with struts? I mean, I really really hate to waste
time by watching Tomcat reload application or sometimes Tomcat itself. Are
there any tips & tricks to not wasting time? (I'm using IBM Wsad)

/tb.

Re: Struts administrative funcs

Posted by Ronald Mathies <rm...@vda.nl>.
> Btw, how do you develop with struts? I mean, I really really hate to waste
> time by watching Tomcat reload application or sometimes Tomcat itself. Are
> there any tips & tricks to not wasting time? (I'm using IBM Wsad)

I user JDeveloper 9.0.3, it has build in Struts support for the Action
ActionForm struts-config.xml and JSP/Servlets. The application server is a
Oracle 9iAS server standalone (Download, unzip and use version). And that is
olso supported by JDeveloper so i can deploy from withing JDeveloper by a
mouse click (takes up to 35 seconds for 2 EJB's 10 to 12 Actions/Action
forms and over 20 JSP pages). The backend is a Oracle 9i Database. And
everything runs on Linux (one computer).

So my tips are (global) :

1. Use an IDE that supports the used web-container / Application Server.
2. Use an IDE that has build in support for Struts.
3. Use a FAST computer with a lot of memory.

4. Take a look at ANT this could help with the build/deploy part. It can
save a lot of time in the repeated manual  actions.

I haven't used IBM Wsad so i don't know about that.

Ronald.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, [iso-8859-9] Tuncay Baskan (Ýnternet Grubu) wrote:

> Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 09:35:58 +0200
> From: "[iso-8859-9] Tuncay Baskan (Ýnternet Grubu)"
>     <Tu...@intertech.com.tr>
> To: "Struts-User (E-mail)" <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Struts administrative funcs
>
> Hello,
>
> I remember struts administrative actions in struts-config.xml (back in 1.0
> days). Are there still admin actions in 1.1? (At least to reload
> configuration and action classes).

No ... it turned out that Struts couldn't really do everything people
expected when trying to "reload" an application, and it makes no sense to
duplicate what servlet containers do already.  You should use the
application reload facilities of your container -- such as the ability to
reload on demand using Tomcat's manager webapp.

> Btw, how do you develop with struts? I mean, I really really hate to waste
> time by watching Tomcat reload application or sometimes Tomcat itself. Are
> there any tips & tricks to not wasting time? (I'm using IBM Wsad)

Personally, I use the Ant tasks supplied with Tomcat 4.1 (I'm a command
line wienie rather than a GUI wienie :-).  I've also factored out the
time-expensive initialization operations like opening connection pools,
using the JNDI resources support that Tomcat provides, so typical app
reload time is a couple of seconds.  I don't feel bad about typing "ant
reload" and waiting that long.

> /tb.

Craig