Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/03/08 19:33:05 UTC

How to prepare patches

Myrna posted steps for preparing a patch :
http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200503.mbox/%3c4224C177.6050708@Golux.Com%3e

I'd like to add these instructions to :
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html

Below are her instructions and a followup suggestion from Jeremy. Are
there any other suggestions?

thanks,

  -jean

Myrna's instructions:

> To prepare a patch, you first use svn to add your file to the
> appropriate spot. Best to first sync up...
>      - cd <my_derby_loc>/trunk
>      - svn update
>      - svn add java/engine/impl/yadiyadi/xyz.java
>      - svn propset svn:eol-style native java/engine/impl/yadiyadi/xyz.java
>      - then you should run the tests (depending on your change, but to
> be safe, deryball)
>            - ant all
>            - set your CLASSPATH env var to include the trunk/classes dir
>            - cd <a temp/test dir>
>            -  java
> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunSuite derbyall
>         after you've resolved any test failures (eg. updated relevant
> ../functionTests/master/*.out files)
>         you can make the patch.
>      - svn diff > xyz.diff
> Then, mail the xyz.diff to the list. Indicate which tests you've run.

Jeremy's suggestion:

Re: How to prepare patches

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:03:14 -0800, Jean T. Anderson
> <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>
>>I added a section on "How to create a patch" to
>>http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html .
>>
>>Any errors are mine -- please post fixes and suggestions for improvement
>>to this list.
>

> Just noticed this:
>
> "Changes to the Apache DB Project guidelines may be called for and
> voted on using the derby-dev mail list."
>
> Hmm, not exactly. Changes to how Derby follows the DB Project
> guidelines may be called for and voted on, but I don't think we'll be
> changing the DB Project's guidelines ourselves. :-)
>
> andrew

Your clarification is indeed what was intended -- I'll add it.

thanks,

  -jean

Re: How to prepare patches

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to prepare patches

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
I added a section on "How to create a patch" to
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html .

Thanks to Myrna, Jeremy, and Dan for suggestions.

Re: How to prepare patches

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Myrna posted steps for preparing a patch :
> http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200503.mbox/%3c4224C177.6050708@Golux.Com%3e
>

> I'd like to add these instructions to :
> http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html
>
> Below are her instructions and a followup suggestion from Jeremy. Are
> there any other suggestions?

- For a feature, a description of what the detailed functionality that
is being implemented is essential.

- A description of the changes, e.g. how a feature is implemented or why
the change fixes a bug. Hopefully this will be in comments in the code
but sometimes an overview in the e-mail is useful, or have the e-mail
point to an overview in the code comments.

- If the patch modifies more than one file then the output from
'svn status' is very useful to have in the e-mail.

Dan.