Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by H�vard Vold <ho...@hotmail.com> on 2004/12/16 18:59:22 UTC

Apache very slow, svnserve fast under Windows 2003 server

I am confused and blearyeyed after having read manuals, FAQs and newsgroups.

Having had a splendid experience with using subversion repositories on RH
and SuSE Linux and Windows 2000 Server, I decided to install Apache2 with
WebDAV and mod_dav_svn etc on a Windows 2003 Server box.

No joy! Doing an svn list through Apache on localhost as well as from Red
Hat, SuSE and Windows XP took over five minutes for a repository with some
200 C++ files and eighty revision levels.
Stopping Apache and starting svnserver -d on the same server gave almost
instantaneous response locally as well as across the switched 1GBit subnet
that these machines are on. There was no other traffic on the subnet.
Starting Apache again gave the same sorry results.

Has anybody the same experiences?? I am stumped (probably does not take
much)

H�vard Vold

Configuration

Windows 2003 Server, servicepacks and patches up to date according to MS

Apache HTTP Server 2.0.52
Subversion 1.1.0 (r11180)

httpd.conf

<snip>

#
# Subversion Section
#
<Location /svn>
  DAV svn
  SVNParentPath /public/Repositories
</Location>

</snip>

Re: Apache very slow, svnserve fast under Windows 2003 server

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> I am confused and blearyeyed after having read manuals, FAQs and
> newsgroups.
>
> Having had a splendid experience with using subversion repositories on RH
> and SuSE Linux and Windows 2000 Server, I decided to install Apache2 with
> WebDAV and mod_dav_svn etc on a Windows 2003 Server box.
>
> No joy! Doing an svn list through Apache on localhost as well as from Red
> Hat, SuSE and Windows XP took over five minutes for a repository with some
> 200 C++ files and eighty revision levels.
> Stopping Apache and starting svnserver -d on the same server gave almost
> instantaneous response locally as well as across the switched 1GBit subnet
> that these machines are on. There was no other traffic on the subnet.
> Starting Apache again gave the same sorry results.
>
> Has anybody the same experiences?? I am stumped (probably does not take
> much)

You forget to mention if you compare 1.1.0 on RH and SuSE with 1.1.0 on
Windows XP. There are changes after 1.0.8 (incorporated in 1.0.9 and 1.1.0)
which make subversion slower.

We'd need to know more about your setup to know if this issue can be
addressed for you. There is a httpd configurantion keyword (undocumented) in
1.1.1 which could bring 1.0.8's snappyness back.

HTH,

Erik.

GMX DSL-Netzanschluss + Tarif zum superg�nstigen Komplett-Preis!

Re: Apache very slow, svnserve fast under Windows 2003 server

Posted by H�vard Vold <ho...@hotmail.com>.

>On Dec 16, 2004, at 2:41 PM, H�vard Vold wrote:
>>>
>>>   SVNPathAuthz off
>>>

>This directive is broken in 1.1.0.   It works in 1.1.1.

Tried 1.1.1 ->> much faster ->> we can live with this

A big thanks to all who have helped me today on this performance issue.

H�vard Vold

(svnserve is still appreciably faster, but we need the Apache integration

Re: Apache very slow, svnserve fast under Windows 2003 server

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by H�vard Vold <ho...@hotmail.com>.

>From: Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>
>To: "H�vard Vold" <ho...@hotmail.com>
>CC: users@subversion.tigris.org
>Subject: Re: Apache very slow, svnserve fast under Windows 2003 server
>Apache is always slower than svnserve, but in this case it is a specific
>performance regression in 1.0.8/1.1.0 that was corrected in 1.0.9/1.1.1.
>Also, in your Apache location directive you should add SVNPathAuthz off so
>that it looks like this:
>
><Location /svn>
>   DAV svn
>   SVNParentPath /public/Repositories
>   SVNPathAuthz off
></Location>
>
>That will get you the maximum Apache performance.  This problem affects
>Apache on all platforms, but it was most noticeable on Windows.
>
>Mark

Mark,

I tried this and restarted Apache, but no cigar. I think I shall have to go
and try on Linux (SuZE, probably) to see if I am doing something
conceptually wrong..........

Best regards,

H�vard Vold

Re: Apache very slow, svnserve fast under Windows 2003 server

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.