Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sa...@cognizant.com on 2017/03/07 02:42:23 UTC

Tomcat - IPv4 loopback

Hi - We are using Tomcat 8 and in our prod we have been facing no buffer error for TCP / IP port, while we triage issue, we have found (through Resource monitor) the Tomcat8.exe is having lots of IPv4 loopback as local address and remote address. Do you have any hint of why this loop back happens ? as soon as we start the server we are seeing almost 60+ loop back entries.

Thanks!
Satishkumar Krishnasamy

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please reply to the sender and destroy all copies of the original message. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email, and/or any action taken in reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Where permitted by applicable law, this e-mail and other e-mail communications sent to and from Cognizant e-mail addresses may be monitored.

Re: Tomcat - IPv4 loopback

Posted by "André Warnier (tomcat)" <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
On 07.03.2017 03:42, SatishKumar.Krishnasamy@cognizant.com wrote:
> Hi - We are using Tomcat 8 and in our prod we have been facing no buffer error for TCP / IP port, while we triage issue, we have found (through Resource monitor) the Tomcat8.exe is having lots of IPv4 loopback as local address and remote address. Do you have any hint of why this loop back happens ? as soon as we start the server we are seeing almost 60+ loop back entries.

Hi.
On your (Windows) server, with Tomcat running, enter this command in a command window :
netstat -aonb -p tcp

and then copy and paste the result here (eliminating irrelevant lines).
This will tell us more clearly what you are referring to.

You can also do the same on another tomcat server, and compare.

Note that if you have a front-end webserver in front of Tomcat (on the same host), such
things tend to establish a pool of connections between front-end and back-end, which is
maybe what you are seeing.
Similarly, if Tomcat applications communicate with some back-end database system (on the
same host), the database driver may also create a pool of connections.

The command above will tell you what connects to what, and that may already provide the
answer to your question.