Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by William Ahern <wa...@barracudanetworks.com> on 2005/11/06 01:46:56 UTC

svn move

I'm maintining a vendor tree according to the suggestions in "Version
Control with Subversion".

I put the vendor tree in our "trunk". I want to move it elsewhere
because it's becoming huge and unwieldly for people to download
everytime they branch from the trunk. But, I'm afraid that if I move the
vendor tree I may lose the ability to merge vendor version differences
back into the project's version.

Does an "svn merge" utilize the knowledge that a directory tree was
originally a copy, or is it really a simple diff and it could be
executed against any two trees? If the former, if I move a tree will
this history be preserved?

For example, here's what I have now.

              ,project/zlib-1.x
             /
respos/trunk*               ,1.2.3
             \             /
              `vendor/zlib*
                           \
                            `1.x

And I want to end up with the following

                ,project/zlib-1.x
               /
        ,trunk`
       /
respos*               ,1.2.3
       \             /
        `vendor/zlib*
                     \
                      `1.x

without losing the ability--after upgrading to 1.2.4--to do:

svn merge repos/vendor/zlib/1.2.3 respos/vendor/zlib/1.x \
        respos/trunk/project/zlib-1.x

TIA,

Bill

--
William Ahern <wa...@barracudanetworks.com>

Re: svn move

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 6, 2005, at 02:46, William Ahern wrote:

> I'm maintining a vendor tree according to the suggestions in "Version
> Control with Subversion".
>
> I put the vendor tree in our "trunk". I want to move it elsewhere
> because it's becoming huge and unwieldly for people to download
> everytime they branch from the trunk. But, I'm afraid that if I
> move the
> vendor tree I may lose the ability to merge vendor version differences
> back into the project's version.

You're right, having vendor under trunk is unwieldy; it makes more
sense for it to be at the root of the repository, separate from all
your projects.

> Does an "svn merge" utilize the knowledge that a directory tree was
> originally a copy, or is it really a simple diff and it could be
> executed against any two trees? If the former, if I move a tree will
> this history be preserved?

svn merge simply takes the difference between two trees and applies
it to your working copy. It doesn't know anything more about those
trees, hence it's up to you to provide paths to svn merge that make
sense for what you want to do.

svn move always preserves history; there's no way for it not to. You
can just move your vendor tree to the root of the repository, and
everything will work fine.