Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO)" <ha...@agenciaclick.com.br> on 2004/05/13 15:34:54 UTC

JCA implementation

Hi there,

I still digesting the spec but a few abysses already appeared.

- Security: JCA depends on JAAS (Subject) security. I'm not sure how is
Merlin's architecture for security. This can (?) be solved if the JCA
facility acts as a bridge between Merlin model and JCA requirements. Or we
can not implement this at all :-)

- EJB: The spec cleary states that Resource Adapter may access EJBs. No
question about it: we won't implement such thing. Or ....... (please fill to
dotted space) :-D

- JMS: I'm a completely ignorant about JMS. Haven't worked with it.

- JMX: Will our JCA implementation be JMX aware? Hows JMX facility works on
others facilities

Despite these minor problems we can start to work on it. My suggestion is to
work on the Work package (thread pool for Resource Adapters). Its very
isolated and we can see how it goes from there.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
hammett

Re: JCA implementation

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 13 May 2004 21:34, Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia -
SPO) wrote:

> - Security: JCA depends on JAAS (Subject) security. I'm not sure how is
> Merlin's architecture for security. This can (?) be solved if the JCA
> facility acts as a bridge between Merlin model and JCA requirements. Or we
> can not implement this at all :-)

JAAS can either br crudely bolted on now (not recommended), or we can take the
pace and get it right.

> - EJB: The spec cleary states that Resource Adapter may access EJBs. No
> question about it: we won't implement such thing. Or ....... (please fill
> to dotted space) :-D

We won't implement such a thing.
Unfortunately I don't know enough of JCA to know what the Resource Adapter
mean. I assume it is the plugin that is required to access a DB or some other
legacy resource. If so, what does this really mean, that they can access
EJBs? Would they create them on the fly, or is it for their own internal use?

> - JMS: I'm a completely ignorant about JMS. Haven't worked with it.

JMS is plain simple. Message-driven architecture. Basically a notifier method
for incoming mail, and reasonably easy ways to create responses.

> - JMX: Will our JCA implementation be JMX aware? Hows JMX facility works on
> others facilities

It should work without problem. Facilities are basically ordinary components,
so I presume that dependency resolution works fairly staright forward, and
one facility can depend on another...

> Despite these minor problems we can start to work on it. My suggestion is
> to work on the Work package (thread pool for Resource Adapters). Its very
> isolated and we can see how it goes from there.

I wish I could help out, but right now I am well over my head already.

Cheers
Niclas