Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2010/05/20 19:44:54 UTC

Version number of next release

Hi HBasers,

Time for the second proposal of the day!

I'd like to start a discussion around the version number of the upcoming
"durable HBase" release. The release I'm referring to is the one currently
being worked towards on trunk, and the one that FB and Cloudera plan to work
with for production clusters round about Q3 2010.

The current name for this release is 0.21. I think this is going to cause
user confusion due to the previous "lockstep versioning" that HBase has had
with regard to Hadoop. I think many people will assume they need to use
Hadoop 0.21 (being billed as an unstable release at least for 0.21.0) and
generally not quite understand why our version number is the same if we have
no tie to the Hadoop version. So, I am generally -1 on calling this next
HBase release 0.21.0.

The other factor is that I think we all see this upcoming release as a major
step up from 0.20. Namely, it provides true durability of every write, much
improved cluster stability, a new build system, replication, and countless
other improvements that everyone's been cranking on. I'm sure given the
number of people now working on the project, we'll see even a few more great
improvements pop up before we're ready to freeze.

Some have suggested we jump all the way to HBase 1.0. I think this is a bit
ambitious, as 1.0 implies a level of API stability we're not quite ready to
commit to. Perhaps we can go there some time next year, but don't want to
open that can of worms yet :)

So, beyond not liking either 0.21 or 1.0, I don't have a strong opinion.
Some have suggested 0.90, as it is lexically much bigger than 0.20 but
clearly not 1.0 yet. Others have suggested 0.30, to give us room to go to
0.40, 0.50, etc before a 1.0.

Thoughts?

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Version number of next release

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
I mean, +1 on 0.66

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com> wrote:

> Agreed on confusion regardless what we pick.  But not sure I see what the
> value is in sticking to 0.21?  Hadoop is also releasing a "development 0.21"
> release and people will think these two things are tied together, though
> they are not.
>
> I'm a big +1 on 0.90 for the next release.  For the development release, we
> could call it 0.80 or 0.89.

I'm with you - +1 on 0.90 for the next release, 0.89 for the development
series. Let's start talking about 1.0 after we get 0.90 into production in
some real use cases.

-Todd

Posted by Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> The current name for this release is 0.21. I think this is going to cause user confusion due to the previous "lockstep versioning" that HBase has had with regard to Hadoop. I think many people will assume they need to use Hadoop 0.21 (being billed as an unstable release at least for 0.21.0) and generally not quite understand why our version number is the same if we have no tie to the Hadoop version. So, I am generally -1 on calling this next HBase release 0.21.0.

I think there is going to be some level of confusion no matter what and calling our next as-proposed unstable release series 0.21 makes sense to me at least.

   - Andy