Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/08/31 14:13:10 UTC

[drlvm] DRLVM, jre/bin/default and launcher

We need to make DRLVM work with the launcher in the same way that J9
works with the launcher.  It's a royal PITA to do an ant-clean and have
DRLVM wiped out of the deploy/jdk/jre directory in classlib-land.

My goal here is two fold -

a) make it easy for people to have both DRLVM and j9 around for A/B testing

b) make DRLVM the default VM we use for everything

I know that we still have the epic argument around hythread to resolve,
but we can do this task first.

Does anyone want to volunteer to take this on?  If not, I'll do it, but
I know that there are people out there that know DRLVM far better than I
do...

geir

Re: [drlvm] DRLVM, jre/bin/default and launcher

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
> On 9/1/06, Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Geir,
>>
>> I'm very enthusiastic about making DRLVM to work with the launcher. It
>> requires implementation of the Invocation API to a certain extent. For
>> example it's enougth to have only partial support for
>
> To some extent, some of those invocation API you mentioned have been
> already implemented. I believe DRLVM can already be started with the
> launcher if type a command:
>
> java -vm:vmcore  -vmdir:.

Yes. But it won't work if vmdir isn't "."

> If we want to complete the transition to the classlib's launcher, then
> I guess we need to do the following:
>
> 1.  Fix the DRLVM layout - rename vmcore to "harmonyvm" and move
> .dll/.so into the "default" subdirectory such that one doesn't have to
> type -vm and -vmdir options;

Yes, but that can be done in the build script.

The problem is that DRLVM - apparently EM which seems to a bit of the

> 2. Exclude building of the "original" launcher from the DRLVM build -
> it currently conflicts with the classlib launcher (both are called
> "java").
>
> 3. Aside from the hythread, it may also have a sense to make the
> classlib and DRLVM using the same zlib dll/so (preferably the system
> one).

Yep.

But first, we need to fix EM so that resources can be in a subdirectory.

so to summarize :

I don't believe the issue is as simple as a build script.  I thought I
experimented with getting DRLVM to work with the normal launcher when
DRLVM was in /default.  If memory serves, it doesnt' work.

geir

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/9/6, Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>:
> On 9/6/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> >

> > Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
> > > HI All,
> > >
> > > Good news! I have a patch to run DRLVM with the classlib's launcher
> > > (I've checked Hello and Eclipse applications on Windows only).
> > > Actually, there are two patches. The first one is for classlib which
> > > changes vm default directory to drlvm.
> >
> > I don't think we should do that - we'll keep it the same as it is now -
> > "default".
> >
> > Why should we change it?
>
> I don't care about it too much. Let it be "default". In that case
> -vmdir option should be specified each time. Is it convenient for
> users? BTW it seems there will be some problems with hythr.dll library
> if we wish to use drlvm and j9 in simultaneously. But that's another
> story...

Evgueni,
The patch you provided hardcodes name of vmdir, so the command-line
option would not help... OTOH, indeed it is possible to put J9 in
jre/bin/j9 and drlvm in jre/bin/drlvm (exactly as Geir said) and just
symlink one of them to jre/bin/default as needed :)

Regarding hythr lib, DRLVM can load the lib from it's own directory,
isn't it? BTW, is there any reason to name it equally with the
classlib's counterpart? I suppose it is loaded only dynamically
anyway.

Still I think this patch is enough for basic launcher support; we can
make it more reliable and customizable later.

--
Alexey

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Friday 08 September 2006 17:31 Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
> On 9/8/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > Evgueni Brevnov wrote:

> > > No, not as Sun's equivalent. There are two different strategies to
> > > load VM libraries. The first one which was implemented in DRLVM before
> > > assumes full VM responsibility to load its dlls. It was done by means
> > > of vm.boot.library.path option. Search order is also important. DRLVM
> > > searches libraries in the following order java.library.path then
> > > system path then vm.boot.library.path. Probably, it is wrong sequence
> > > or it doesn't matter at all but it seems reference implementation does
> > > it exactly the same way.
> >
> > Does the RI have a "vm.boot.library.path" option?
>
> Yes, it has I don't remeber exact name.

It is sun.boot.library.path.

Re: [drlvm] DRLVM, jre/bin/default and launcher

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
> On 9/6/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>

>> Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
>> > HI All,
>> >
>> > Good news! I have a patch to run DRLVM with the classlib's launcher
>> > (I've checked Hello and Eclipse applications on Windows only).
>> > Actually, there are two patches. The first one is for classlib which
>> > changes vm default directory to drlvm.
>>
>> I don't think we should do that - we'll keep it the same as it is now -
>> "default".
>>
>> Why should we change it?
>
> I don't care about it too much. Let it be "default". In that case
> -vmdir option should be specified each time. Is it convenient for
> users?

?  right now, "default" is the default.  So the user doesn't have to
specify anything...

With the DRLVM stuff in jre/bin/default the user just types

      java

 > BTW it seems there will be some problems with hythr.dll library
> if we wish to use drlvm and j9 in simultaneously. But that's another
> story...

Yes, we need to resolve this.

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Thanks - putting patches in JIRA is the best way.

geir

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.
Hi Geir,

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.
HI All,

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 10/4/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
> > As we know the current IBM VM does not support all 'standard' java
> options.
> >
> > IBM VM peoples, could you give some expectation when this support will
> be
> > available (1 month, 3 or 6 ...)?
>
> Why do we as the Harmony project care?

Now we have 2 VM at Harmony and to check API behavior I use both of them. It
will be more comfortable for me to have one arguments set for both VMs.
So, I think about my  conveniences only :)
 Thanks, Vladimir

geir

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.
On 10/4/06, Ivan Popov <iv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> J2SE documentation explicitely mention standard and non-standard but
> well-known option for 'java' tool in [1] and [2]. I think it makes
> sense to follow this description rather than help message, they are
> not equal.

>From my point of view we should support all widely used options and it
should not depend on standard/non-standard definition (for example, support
of '-Xmx' option is useful too).

Seems, it should be discussed and store somewhere.

Thanks, Vladimir

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/solaris/java.html

Posted by Ivan Popov <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Ivanov <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
>
>> 1.  Fix the DRLVM layout - rename vmcore to "harmonyvm" and move
>> ..dll/.so into the "default" subdirectory such that one doesn't have to
>> type -vm and -vmdir options;
>>

> While would you want to rename DRLVM to Harmony VM?
> It feels to me like claiming DRLVM to be "the only" Harmony VM.
> On the contrary, I thought Harmony project is about *encouraging* diversity.
>
> I think having library named libdrlvm.so would be much better.

The Harmony launcher looks for harmonyvm.dll as its default vm library.
It's just a generic
name so that the launcher can find the correct library without -vm. The
IBM VME also
contains a harmonyvm.dll, which is why it works without specifying
command line options

Regards,
Oliver

>> 2. Exclude building of the "original" launcher from the DRLVM build -
>> it currently conflicts with the classlib launcher (both are called
>> "java").
>>
>> 3. Aside from the hythread, it may also have a sense to make the
>> classlib and DRLVM using the same zlib dll/so (preferably the system
>> one).

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: [drlvm] DRLVM, jre/bin/default and launcher

Posted by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com>.

Posted by Andrey Chernyshev <a....@gmail.com>.
On 9/1/06, Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Geir,
>
> I'm very enthusiastic about making DRLVM to work with the launcher. It
> requires implementation of the Invocation API to a certain extent. For
> example it's enougth to have only partial support for

To some extent, some of those invocation API you mentioned have been
already implemented. I believe DRLVM can already be started with the
launcher if type a command:

java -vm:vmcore  -vmdir:.

If we want to complete the transition to the classlib's launcher, then
I guess we need to do the following:

1.  Fix the DRLVM layout - rename vmcore to "harmonyvm" and move
.dll/.so into the "default" subdirectory such that one doesn't have to
type -vm and -vmdir options;

2. Exclude building of the "original" launcher from the DRLVM build -
it currently conflicts with the classlib launcher (both are called
"java").

3. Aside from the hythread, it may also have a sense to make the
classlib and DRLVM using the same zlib dll/so (preferably the system
one).

Thanks,
Andrey.

> DestroyJavaVM(JavaVM * vm). Some changes to j.l.Thread class is
> necessary as well. So if there is no objections I can start working on
> it right now.
>
> Thanks
> Evgueni.
>
> On 8/31/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > We need to make DRLVM work with the launcher in the same way that J9
> > works with the launcher.  It's a royal PITA to do an ant-clean and have
> > DRLVM wiped out of the deploy/jdk/jre directory in classlib-land.
> >
> > My goal here is two fold -
> >
> > a) make it easy for people to have both DRLVM and j9 around for A/B testing
> >
> > b) make DRLVM the default VM we use for everything
> >
> > I know that we still have the epic argument around hythread to resolve,
> > but we can do this task first.
> >
> > Does anyone want to volunteer to take this on?  If not, I'll do it, but
> > I know that there are people out there that know DRLVM far better than I
> > do...
> >
> > geir

Andrey Chernyshev
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [drlvm] DRLVM, jre/bin/default and launcher

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Cool.

I guess the question is, can it load resources from the directory where
the VM itself came from?  We want to package things such that they all
go into

   jre/bin/<somedirectoryname>

with the default for that being 'default' (although it shouldn't matter).

We also want to avoid setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH and other such
externalities...

geir

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.